PDA

View Full Version : how to improve this interior.

sabwab
11-02-2005, 12:28 PM
hello,

this basic interior i wish it to render fast. but also needs about the same shadows like this.
but the quality is poor, a lot of artifacts. They are at the doors and 'windowbench'

so how do the pro's improve this? i keep on trying and it just not working right now.

i have an omni for the sun, and an area for skylight. also a sky for blue tinted atmosphere,
but that totally isnt visible. Also i have the glass excluded from the lights.

thanks if someone has answers.

Alex

sabwab
11-02-2005, 01:06 PM
i think also the size of the 3D i import should be noticed
its in mm lets say 1000 units normally
-
and this new render is getting closer, now theres splotches.

im really new to this all, perhabs i should post this somewere else.
you make the call
ALex

nycL45
11-02-2005, 01:51 PM
As a starting point, try the following settings:

GI: Strength 100%; Accuracy 40%; Prepass 1/1; Diffusion Depth 1; Stochastics 600; Min Resolution 100; Max Res 500

Options: Ray Depth 3; Shadow Depth 3

Let me know how that works.

Cheers

sabwab
11-02-2005, 02:47 PM
well that helps speed it up,

with colormapping i could get more light there. perhabs better for the image.

what do you think about the quality?

nycL45
11-02-2005, 03:08 PM
You may want to increase the GI>Accuracy in 10% increments up to 90% to decrease/eliminate the artifacts.

The artifacts in your image are controlled with the Max. setting, that is corners and curved surfaces. The Min. is for flat open/middle areas. The approximate ratio range of Min:Max is 1:5 to 1:1. If you up either, use this ratio. The Max setting I gave should work without having to increase it.

For quick render checks, try "Render Region" the artifact areas.

To add light, try adding an interior low brightness Omni with no shadows and at different light levels and set to your liking.

Experiment, check the manual and have fun.

sabwab
11-02-2005, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the quick help.

im having fun indeed, using this program now for a week.

before i had ... accurender.

ok c ya here.

dann_stubbs
11-02-2005, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the quick help.

im having fun indeed, using this program now for a week.

before i had ... accurender.

ok c ya here.

is your AA set to geometry?

if yes, change it to best. the geometry setting will not AA through transparent objects (glass) so that may be why the artifacts on there

dann

sabwab
11-02-2005, 03:56 PM
thanks for all the tweaks, also the AA best setting.

i will read learn test and tweak and continue learning.

hope to share lots of work here.

AL

FantaBurky
11-02-2005, 04:42 PM
Personally I prefer your FIRST image, as it renders faster and only takes like 1min to postwork.

FROM THIS
http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=83833

TO THIS
http://web.telia.com/~u52221489/smallroomfix.jpg

sabwab
11-02-2005, 06:00 PM
LOOKS VERY NICE!

and how did you do that?
i wish that could be done with the post effects..

possibly possible?

FantaBurky
11-02-2005, 06:56 PM
This is just a simple type of postwork in Photoshop, wereas you dublicate the image to another layer, blur it with gaussian blur like 4.5 radius. Then make that layer "Hard Light" above the original layer. Go down to like 30-50%, untill the exposure level at the area above the window gets a little overexposured. Merge Layers. Copy layer, make it "Screen" above the other. Go down to like 60%. Then go gaussian blur on that layer like 3-4 radius. Click okay. Merge Layers. Go hue saturation, go up saturation like +10. Go Levels. Make the middle input level like 1,19. Hit okay, Then select with a selection tool (preferably polygon lasso tool). And select areas which have splotches, and just use the smudge tool to make them blurry. Then Deselect all. And go unsharp mask with radius 0,3. And Amount 210%.

Its all about experimenting in Photoshop, personally my favorite part in creating a render. I usually do 60% of the work in postwork. And if its animations, then action scripts is the way to go :P.

I created these two images with about 60% postwork each :P, not adding stuff, but modifying color values and brightness etc. Getting rid of splotches, creating area shadows out of sharp shadows blablabla...

http://www.kawaanimationstudios.com/portfolio-files/dojo.jpg

http://www.kawaanimationstudios.com/portfolio-files/livingroom_01.jpg

If you mean posteffects, as in the program. Well I believe theres like a plugin by Paul Everett called Final Touch that you mite wanna look into.

sabwab
11-03-2005, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the explation of your image processing ,

but have you seen pictures here from Trond Andersen?

he uses lightwave but has a nice soft and bright atmosphere like those pictures of yours.

i guess postwork in photoshop need attention too from me.

thanks all.

CGTalk Moderation
11-03-2005, 07:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.