PDA

View Full Version : Lia Pryde (age 26) Female Bounty Hunter

drew33
11-02-2005, 04:46 AM
Hi there,

Here is Lia, my normal mapped female game character (3DS Max) im trying to finish. Aiming for a 4000 ish poly total including guns. So far i got 3508 excluding the guns (950 poly each so far) as ive gotta make low-poly versions of those to be normal mapped too.

Need Crits and suggestions as its lookin a little plain and im not very good at textures.So Ive used a combo of photos, painting an render to texture. :D

Also is the topology/proportions ok? As ive followed alot of threads here and hope im on the right track, any advice on this, normal mappping in max and poly saving techniques....eerrr everything :D would be especially welcome.

Its also got these lines around the seams that i cant get rid of. As im new to normal maps an textures hopefully you guys can help me with the answers. :hmm:

Anyway im not the fastest worker when it comes to theses things so bear with me. Ive been saying gonna finish the char for ages an its got to be done so i can move onto the next. :banghead:

Heres a render and wire so far .Looking forward to comments,help and crits :)

drew33
11-03-2005, 05:37 AM
Hi,

Ive made a small adjustment on the forearm to make it bigger. Ive also begun on the hair. I created 2 levels of hair and tweaked them to give the hair more volume. I still havent found a tut to make dynamic hair.

Any guys in the industry could tell me how this would work in a game, or would it be just animated? Anyway i think ill put bones in first so i can use her for an animation but knowing how this would go in a studio would be good to know.maybe do 2 versions of the hair.

Im getting views but no comments/crits, cmon guy/gals i need help!

GhostRider801
11-03-2005, 06:05 AM
her shins are too short.

SHEPEIRO
11-03-2005, 12:52 PM
facre is real nice, but those trousers ewwww fashion victim

Confracto
11-03-2005, 06:59 PM
Proportions! Proportions!

drew33
11-05-2005, 12:12 AM
Ghost Rider thanks, Ive adjusted her lower legs and made them abit longer, is it ok?

Im new to posting on this forum so i dont know how it works to get help from others, but could you guys go into more details with your comments an make them more helpful. Youre saying theres a problem i need specifics in order to fix them and to improve my work.

Looking forward to more crits :)

obelisk
11-05-2005, 12:37 AM
Hey Drew,

Anyway, on to useful crits. The legs look a lot better, and the torso and shoulders look pretty accurate to your ref. The arms a clearly too thin from the front view. The face seems ok from the front, but a little off from the side. Without a side view though, it's hard to crit accurately.

The texture on the face is starting to look pretty nice, but it'd be worth getting these proportional issues worked out before proceeding with any further texturing. Your topology may need to change. People seem to advise against the T position these days. Seems that lowering the arms to half mast will help you get the shoulders right for deformation later down the track.

This is looking great. Don't be discouraged by flippant posts. These forums are full of them.

Cheers

-O

drew33
11-05-2005, 01:18 AM
Obelisk,

Thanks for you help i was abit confused by those comments. When ive visited here before i havent really seen stuff like that. But ill just ignore it an hope i get more posts like yours :)

Back to work, heres a side view on the face. Yeah, the arms down sounds better on the stance. It does seems like a pot luck with what youre gonna get with the T Stance when youve skinned it. Ive just adjusted the stance to arms down.

Any crits welcome

Thanks

obelisk
11-05-2005, 01:38 AM
No sweat. I take back what I said about her face. I think it looks fine from the side. The ear needs a bit of work though. Take a look at some refs on general shape, and internal detail (or just cover it with her hair!). It's pretty clear from the side view that the hand is too small too. Generally a spread hand should cover it's owners face (try it with your own). This hand looks too small and a little flat.

How about a side, front and back view on the whole body. Easier to crit when we can see the works.

Your mesh looks pretty clean BTW

Cheers

-O

obelisk
11-05-2005, 01:53 AM
Missed the 3 quarter thumb you edited in. There's a strange 'twist' in the mesh when it hits the wrist. You could slso do with another loop around all of her joints to help deformation. Even just lowering the arms starts to highlight a bit of an issue with the shoulder on this level.

-O

HellBoy
11-05-2005, 02:09 AM
Her belly button is scary, looks like bunch of hair...yayks

on the other hand, you're getting there, few minor changes and off you go

drew33
11-05-2005, 02:22 AM
The ear has caused me problems and youre right it would be easy to cover it. But when i think of how long i worked on its high poly counterpart il try an keep it in ;) Il try to put more polys in the ear for definition. as its just a flat ear shape.

Heres an update on the hand. Dunno if thats an good angle to see it. I tried your trick an youre right (in real life an max) :p it should be way bigger!, so i stuck it back on.

Heres the basic views too. il post a wire one later

Thanks

any crits welcome

drew33
11-05-2005, 02:40 AM
Obelisk,

About that twist. I put that in so that when the hand is in a more natural position (non stance) it starigtens out. I read that somewhere (im vague on this it was so long ago)that this was a good thing to put in, so i went with it. But if its gonna cause a problem il take it back out. Yeah that shoulder does look blocky. Ill get to work on some loops an see.

Hellboy,

Yeah its a bit strange. I think i slipped with the clone brush that day, cause on closer inspection it looks like shes got 2. Ive downloaded some painting tuts from polycount so i can learn to make photo free textures. Il fix it later after im done with the modelling. But i assure you thats not coming from a hairy chest :p

By the way whats the deal with the limit on attachments cause i nearly used mine up. do i have to go back an put smaller pics on my previous posts???

Thanks

any crits welcome

obelisk
11-05-2005, 02:56 AM
About that twist. I put that in so that when the hand is in a more natural position (non stance) it starigtens out. I read that somewhere (im vague on this it was so long ago)that this was a good thing to put in, so i went with it. But if its gonna cause a problem il take it back out.

That makes sense to me. Don't listen to me if you've got a better source of info. I've never finished a character ;-)

Far as attachment limits go, I host my images at photobucket, and use an IMG line in the post to include it without the thumbnails.

>>> AWESOME RODNEY DANGERFIELD ALBUM COVER IMAGE REMOVED <<<

There's no limit that way, unless the mods close you down for image flooding.

cheers

-O

drew33
11-05-2005, 03:51 AM
Obelisk,

Cheers thanks for the photobucket tip, ive just signed up.

The arm thing was abit vague in my head but hopefully somebody il jump in an clarify it. Dont worry about not finishing a char, i havent either but im sure you will. :) Start a thread itll help you finish something. Ill help where i can though my knowledge is limited.

I dont know if this common but ive got 4 characters at around 75% finished and it been like that for awhile. I get to a point , get bored an start something else.I never finish things. Until now, thats what im telling myself an im determined to do it. :bounce: With the help of you guys. So if this goes good expect some more characters/vehicles/models rolling in for finishing.

Heres a photobucket test pic, which is an earlier high poly version of Lia
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d8/drew35/A32-NGHairSpecGloss.jpg

Im off to bed now, catch you guys tomorrow

any crits welcome

drew33
11-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Im back

Ive adjusted the shoulders and added extra loops to the them and the elbow too. Ive also made the hands bigger too. I was gonna delete the other half of the model an drop in a symmetry modifier. but i left it in the pic to show whats changed.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d8/drew35/ALGame-NMT-ShoulderHandextraLoops.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d8/drew35/ALGame-NMT-HandAdjust02.jpg

Any crits comments welcome

Thanks

drew33
07-18-2006, 04:41 AM
Hi,

Havent done any work on this for a while. Just finishing up now. Ive given her a resident evil type bloodan dirt look. polys are now 3501 for model and 736 for both guns.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d8/drew35/ALadyReUV12.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d8/drew35/WALadyReUV22.jpg

The other character was supposed to be her partner but i havent had time to add blood n dirt to her yet.

Any crits and comments welcome

Peddy
07-18-2006, 05:31 AM
oh thank god shes not wearing stilettos anymore. im a big fan of logic (big fan), and her running around hunting bounties made little to no sense at all.

drew33
07-19-2006, 01:29 AM
Peddy,

Yeah i looked at them I thought there was too much high heel action going on. Plus when the Resident Evil idea came in i thought of the boots.

Keep the comments coming, cheers

CodeNothing
07-19-2006, 02:07 AM
The 1 thing that jumps out at me when i see her face is that her eyes and brow seems to be on a flat plane. It gives her a cavewoman look. If you shape the eyebrows back on a slight slant it will probably look better.

ojko
07-19-2006, 09:06 AM
I'm pretty sure this is unintentional, but has anyone else noticed the model looks like Victoria Beckham? Kinda retro spice if you ask me. :)

drew33
07-19-2006, 10:41 AM
Victoria Beckham? never heard that one before. Shes supposed to be asian. Posh spice would never wear dirty clothes, even to bounty hunt RE style.

Neox
07-19-2006, 11:02 AM
I'm pretty sure this is unintentional, but has anyone else noticed the model looks like Victoria Beckham? Kinda retro spice if you ask me. :)

yep thought the same thing ;)

dees
07-28-2006, 09:25 AM
heya andrew,

looks different after a year tho, but overall...
I say that you are currently much daring to renovate the whole polys just to give her a face.

I was wondering what was the "original plan" of the character you'r building.
- Are you in the gaming business,
- are you planning to be in the gaming business (or maybe designing one),
- or are you just a poly freak (like the rest of us) with nothing to do but cut polys (hehehehe)
So what's your current situation ? what you do for a living ?

Tho the question seems to "interogating", I know that same feeling too. I've done some modelling back then, I quit, I'm back and quit again. Right now, my current workline doesn't even ring a bell for 3d works.

Sorry if I kinda ranting,.... lol.

1. Hmm. about the model, better to check her forehead (preferably from all sides, side, front, 3/4)
2. Texturing, if I may suggest, don' t use photos (unless you're planning to). Paint it, use multilayers, with 20-50% opacity. Your polycount is low which indicates gaming purpose. So ever wondering why all those game modellers re-painted their models ?
3. Seems that you already in the painting mode, but why all the gloomy colors ? make her hot first, then make her killer look.
4. I might say,.......... that it does look like an ASIAN VICTORIA BECKHAM ? lol.....

cheers
Dees
deestilo@hotmail.com (not available every day, but you can try :)

CGTalk Moderation
07-28-2006, 09:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.