PDA

View Full Version : Animating points in XSI - possible?

ftaswin
11-01-2005, 10:39 PM
Hi,

Is it possible to animate points in XSI? I mean a whole bunch of them. I do not want to cluster them one by one coz its a LOT of them. Don't ask me why I want it, I just need to find out if its can be done as simple as selecting points, set key frame on the position base over time.

Thanks,

ft

ThE_JacO
11-01-2005, 11:46 PM
no, it can't.
you either shape animate them or use a cluster with center if you want the Fcurves.

what exactly are you after? there's very few instances I can think of when I'd want to animate lots of points in this fashion.

and unless you need the fcurve tweaking in your process shape animation can do that without flinching.

JoeW
11-02-2005, 03:50 PM
Hi,

Is it possible to animate points in XSI? I mean a whole bunch of them. I do not want to cluster them one by one coz its a LOT of them. Don't ask me why I want it, I just need to find out if its can be done as simple as selecting points, set key frame on the position base over time.

Thanks,

ft

As far as I know, the only software that would allow you to do that is Animation:Master - (and it sounds like it would be a nightmare to keep track of the keys....)

There *IS* the possiblity of using the "NullstoPoints" plugin to automatically add Nulls to all your points and do the clustering for you (if that's the part that's making you not want to do it) - then you're just animating nulls instead of the points themselves... which seems like it would be *almost* what you're looking for...

JoeW

Wedurhoelner
11-02-2005, 04:03 PM
As far as I know, the only software that would allow you to do that is Animation:Master - (and it sounds like it would be a nightmare to keep track of the keys....)

Maya and Max can do that.
(I wouldnt do it either, but it's possible ;) )

Cheers,
W.

ftaswin
11-02-2005, 09:44 PM
OK then...

1. So is there a script for automating cluster assignment for each point???

2. If we can't, I am curious of the concept of baking animation in XSI, AFAIK for baking animation is transformation keyframes are being applied to each point on a model. What's the concept in XSI?

Yes, I normally use Maya but that's irrelevant. I just want to know how to achieve it in XSI.

Thanks

ft

ThE_JacO
11-02-2005, 10:31 PM
baking animation simply means making everything interpolated explicit.
baking an IK chain animation means transforming it into explicit FK keyframes (with whatever step precision you need), baking a position constrain would mean converting the relationship into explict translation Fcurves.

baking the deformation of a pointscloud is done with shapes.

saving translation keyframes for every point is, under the hood, just clustering and then linking that point to its own item that has kinematic properties, in XSI you need to do this explicitly using a cluster with center.

when you'r happy with that you can plot the result to shape animation and get rid of the nulls.

thorn3d
11-03-2005, 01:39 AM
Maya and Max can do that.

So can Cinema 4D.

And i dont recommend it much either. ;)

I find attaching nulls to various points/areas more easy to control, but obviously for tons of points (each needing discreet animation) that wouldn't be very practical.

thorn

ShadowM8
11-03-2005, 05:39 AM
What's wrong with saving shape keys and animating those?
It is the only way to animate deforming geometry by direct manipulation of points.

JoeW
11-03-2005, 02:00 PM
OK then...

1. So is there a script for automating cluster assignment for each point???

I'm learning more from this thread than I thought I would :)

Yes, there are a couple of scripts - one is in NetView on the Model tab - it's the first script called "Add Nulls To Points" - it will automatically add all the points and cluster them for you - BUT - it only seems to work on entire objects, not selected points.

There is another script which is a little more robust called oo_addnulltopoint_1.zip (that's the file name, anyway) which gives you better control of how the clusters are created, and it will do selected points. I can't remember where I got it, but if the script in NetView doesn't work for you, just IM me and I can e-mail it to you.

JoeW

ThE_JacO
11-03-2005, 02:05 PM
the OO prefix is usually for Olivier Ozoux, an ex Softimage employee now TDing in AnimalLogic.
chances are that script can be obtained on xsinet (softimage's own resources pages, directly linked in the netview).

JoeW
11-03-2005, 04:14 PM
the OO prefix is usually for Olivier Ozoux, an ex Softimage employee now TDing in AnimalLogic.
chances are that script can be obtained on xsinet (softimage's own resources pages, directly linked in the netview).

Yep - that's the guy :)

Unless I'm missing something, this script isn't available through XSI Net (at least, I couldn't find it) - so I put it up here for anyone who's interested:

http://www.joewilliamsen.com/Filez/oo_addnulltopoint_1.zip

JoeW

ftaswin
11-13-2005, 11:09 PM
baking an IK chain animation means transforming it into explicit FK keyframes (with whatever step precision you need), baking a position constrain would mean converting the relationship into explict translation Fcurves.

Although I don't quite get what that mean, I assume that this is not related to "point animation" I was curious about

saving translation keyframes for every point is, under the hood, just clustering and then linking that point to its own item that has kinematic properties, in XSI you need to do this explicitly using a cluster with center.

In another word, if you are baking an animation it will create cluters automatically to every point and those clusters are ones that has keyframes on it?

Let's say you have a syflex flag simulation on a machine and you want to take it to studio that doesn't have syflex license (without being too technical about installing cache node and bring in cache files everywhere with you - this is just an example) the easiest solution would be to baked the simulation and take the "baked animated flag". So there would be hundreds of animated clusters applied to individual points on the flag. Am I right?

Thanks for any direction....

ThE_JacO
11-14-2005, 12:16 AM

Although I don't quite get what that mean, I assume that this is not related to "point animation" I was curious about

In another word, if you are baking an animation it will create cluters automatically to every point and those clusters are ones that has keyframes on it?

no, baking animation at points level will create shapes on a single complete cluster, re-read the baking part please, you still seem to be unsure about it.
as I said "baking animation" means nothing and everything, it depends from what animation you want to commit and how.

Let's say you have a syflex flag simulation on a machine and you want to take it to studio that doesn't have syflex license (without being too technical about installing cache node and bring in cache files everywhere with you - this is just an example) the easiest solution would be to baked the simulation and take the "baked animated flag". So there would be hundreds of animated clusters applied to individual points on the flag. Am I right?

Thanks for any direction....

that would be an overcomplicated solution I'm afraid.
if you want to ANIMATE POINTS with translation Fcurves, then you need clusters with centers, but if all you want is to Commit animation that is already there to point level, then you bake it into a shape animation.

in the animation panel you'll find all the plot tools you need.

CGTalk Moderation
11-14-2005, 12:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.