PDA

View Full Version : Depth Pass Only with Sniper

Continuumx
11-01-2005, 04:07 PM
I cannot figure out how to just render a depth pass as the default render pass without have the rgb render along with it. Is this possible? What I am trying to do is tweek a depth pass using sniper. It seems that the rgb defaults and the only way I can look at the depth pass is to change the channel in the normal C4D render view window using multipass rendering. How can I just render the depth pass only without the rgb pass or any other channel (exclusive).

Thanks!

JoelOtron
11-01-2005, 06:47 PM
Sniper won't show anything other than the rgb pass.
It can show post effects like DOF but not the depth pass itself.

In order to render just the depth, disable the save file option in the render settings, and then in the multipass settings activate only the depth pass and create a save file path.

The rgb version will appear when you render, but only the depth pass will be present in the saved file (unless you save AFTER rendering via the save picture command from the pictire manager.

You can preview depth fields via the zBlur plugin. Its very nice as you can toggle between using c4d's built in zbbuffer--and view that via the zblur preview (which is what you are trying to do--see c4d's depth channel) or swithc it to see zblurs proprietary depth pass.

duderender
11-01-2005, 08:06 PM
It's features like this that need to be sent to Paul. Sniper Pro is great, but it could use more development and make it a power tool.

service@tools4d.com is Paul's listed email (www.tools4d.com)

Continuumx
11-01-2005, 08:07 PM
Thanks Joel,

I will give it a go this evening. Thanks for the tip about Zblur, another good reason to buy this cool plugin!

duderender
11-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Actually here's a trick I did in LW. Use a white fog.

Continuumx
11-01-2005, 08:14 PM
It's features like this that need to be sent to Paul. Sniper Pro is great, but it could use more development and make it a power tool.

service@tools4d.com is Paul's listed email (www.tools4d.com (http://www.tools4d.com))

Thanks duderender, I just sent an email to Paul!

duderender
11-01-2005, 09:41 PM
I'd like to see sniper do any channel you add to the multipass box.

Also, I'd like to see options to disable post effects and such so we can get some raw horsepower out of Sniper. Frankly lighting with fprime was sweet and there are advantages to not having everything render.

Optimizations to speed up the S&T previews would be nice too.

JoelOtron
11-01-2005, 09:52 PM
Yes white fog works--and works in the editor--BUT--its not the same. Plus it only works for rear depth.

Let Paul Everett know about your sniper ideas, duderender.

(edit--I should say its only an issue if you are using the white fog render as a manual separate pass from which to do your dof in post)

duderender
11-01-2005, 10:38 PM
Yes white fog works--and works in the editor--BUT--its not the same. Plus it only works for rear depth.

Let Paul Everett know about your sniper ideas, duderender.

(edit--I should say its only an issue if you are using the white fog render as a manual separate pass from which to do your dof in post)

Fog works 'both' ways. Once in post you should be able to invert the z direction. I'm not saying its the same, just a cheap hack and if you need it viewable it does work.

I posted my ideas here to simply engage the discussion. I will inform Paul as well.

I wanted to avoid the fprime analogy but since Maxon includes it with engineering bundle and its such a common requested feature from many LW users (is it me or do see more LW switchovers) that Sniper would do well to mimic some of fprime's speed / features.

JoelOtron
11-02-2005, 12:44 AM
Hey dudrender--you are correct--is a helpful workaround that I sometimes use as well.

And didnt mean to sound like I was telling you waht to do--re-reading my post it came off that way. I actually missed a few posts b4 yours b4 I posting and didnt realize you had mentioned Paul yourself. Was just suggesting that he be informed as you had good ideas. Dont know anything about fPrime.

duderender
11-02-2005, 04:16 AM
Hey dudrender--you are correct--is a helpful workaround that I sometimes use as well.

And didnt mean to sound like I was telling you waht to do--re-reading my post it came off that way. I actually missed a few posts b4 yours b4 I posting and didnt realize you had mentioned Paul yourself. Was just suggesting that he be informed as you had good ideas. Dont know anything about fPrime.

hey Joel, LOL I didn't even think that of your post!

btw, fPrime is for Lightwave and its a fast raytracing engine that allows really fast preview renders similar to SP, but unlike SP it doesn't support all of LW's functions.

Ernest Burden
11-02-2005, 07:58 PM
Yes white fog works--and works in the editor--BUT--its not the same.

Black fog with white objects works better, you can still render refections and such. I used to use that in Lightscape since it had no depth feature, so I made my own.

Continuumx
11-02-2005, 08:18 PM
Very ingenious uses for depth passes. Just remember that a depth pass must be aliased.

duderender
11-02-2005, 09:07 PM
Let's say you do this, and in fact this question applies to doing matte renders, but what's the quickest way to swap materials for objects so you can say render your rgb and then swap materials to do a depth render or matte render?

Continuumx
11-03-2005, 01:02 PM
Black fog with white objects works better, you can still render refections and such. I used to use that in Lightscape since it had no depth feature, so I made my own.

Thanks Ernest, this is the tip that I need- I tested it out and it works great (This technique also does transparency! :thumbsup:, so now I use sniper to quickly show the adjustments I make. Very handy! Works better than adjusting the camera DOF. Although if I need front and rear planes, I am back to the camera DOF.

Continuumx
11-03-2005, 07:16 PM
Let's say you do this, and in fact this question applies to doing matte renders, but what's the quickest way to swap materials for objects so you can say render your rgb and then swap materials to do a depth render or matte render?

There is a plugin somewhere that has been called Masquer textures by Majoule.

I think he made this into plugin rather than xpresso, just cannot find it anywhere.

I did find MR. Vue

ref:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/archizone/Accueil.htm

CGTalk Moderation
11-03-2005, 07:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.