PDA

View Full Version : Apple sells a million videos in new service

RobertoOrtiz
11-01-2005, 07:27 AM
Quote:
"Apple Computer on Monday said its iTunes online service has sold a million videos in under 20 days, sending shares up almost 5 percent.

iTunes, the most popular online music store, began selling about 2,000 music videos and episodes of ABC's "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost" for $1.99 (1.12 pounds) on October 12.
"

>>Link<< (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051031/tc_nm/media_apple_dc_3)

-R

tozz
11-01-2005, 08:17 AM
They're doing the right thing, the wrong way. Worldwide availabilty of tv-shows is excellent, but the quality is really crappy, and 4:3. There was some comparison of a XViD encode and the apple one, xvid was heaven, apple.. well, somthing further down than hell. But as long as it sells, hey, good work Apple :)

arvid
11-01-2005, 01:59 PM
How can anyone pay for a highly compressed video, or rather, how can anyone charge money for it??

JA-forreal
11-01-2005, 02:14 PM
Things that make you go humm.

Dennik
11-01-2005, 02:28 PM
How can anyone pay for a highly compressed video, or rather, how can anyone charge money for it??

If it had PAL or NTSC quality, and i could hook it up on my tv, that would be cool, and i'd be glad to buy videos from them. But now its selling just because its a cool gadget. And i'm not buying it. :)

rstratton
11-01-2005, 03:28 PM
yeah but they are selling a "cool gadget" in a society that loves "cool gadgets" and will buy them just to say they have them....but it does piss me off that they put out a new ipod quarterly.....

theCloudmover
11-01-2005, 03:59 PM
I think people are buying the TV videos in particular because it fills a need. If you take Desperate Housewives for example, that show isn't about visual tricks or fantastic SFX. It's a serial. You have to see the current episode to be on top of the curve for the next week and the week after that.

It's like buying a dog-eared reading copy of a comic book you missed. As long as the comic is in the quarter-box (the price is right), all you want to know is the who, what, where and when so you'll be ready for the next month. You can get a proper copy down the road.

TV is a perfect disposible, portable, media. Video quality is irrelevant as long as you get your fix. When Apple gets the rights to show some comedies and Soap Operas the sales will go through the roof!

victor
11-01-2005, 04:10 PM
yeah but they are selling a "cool gadget" in a society that loves "cool gadgets" and will buy them just to say they have them....but it does piss me off that they put out a new ipod quarterly.....Why do new iPods piss you off? Because you no longer have the cool new gadget with your old one? ;)

Dennik
11-01-2005, 04:24 PM
Why do new iPods piss you off? Because you no longer have the cool new gadget with your old one? ;)

Well, some of us will wait untill a new cool gadget realy worth buying will come out, like an HD ipod or something, and you'll be stuck with your old low-rez ipod. ;)

tozz
11-01-2005, 05:40 PM
TV is a perfect disposible, portable, media. Video quality is irrelevant as long as you get your fix. When Apple gets the rights to show some comedies and Soap Operas the sales will go through the roof!
I see your point, but I don't agree with video quality being irrelevant. I wouldn't want to see Prison Break in low res "pixel wars" just because it doesn't contain any visual effects, same goes for Las Vegas or Weeds, just a few examples. There is also a difference between low quality, and really crappy, the stuff from Apple is really crappy (and that's with a show like Lost, so no way to blame the source).

leuey
11-01-2005, 05:45 PM
I think a lof of people (maybe even MOST people) are buying the music videos (not the TV shows) and are watching them in iTunes (not the video iPod). I know people who are downloading 80's videos like crazy and don't even own a video iPod. Once this gains momemtum I see an Apple PVR/MPC kind of thing where you just download movies instead of rent them - of course Microsoft and Sony will be using their consoles to deliver the same kind of service...

-Greg

TopherMartini
11-01-2005, 06:13 PM
If it had PAL or NTSC quality, and i could hook it up on my tv, that would be cool, and i'd be glad to buy videos from them. But now its selling just because its a cool gadget. And i'm not buying it. :)
With the iPod AV Cable (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9765G/A) you can hook it up to a PAL or NTSC TV and the content plays fairly well. A lot of consumer reviews are stating that video quality on TV is largely dependent on the quality of the video processor in your TV, but it looks pretty darn good on plasmas and older TVs alike from what I've seen.

The new iPod may not satisfy everyone, but it sure works for me :beer:

monovich
11-01-2005, 08:03 PM
I've always wanted to be able to buy music videos. I'm just happy that now someone is starting to give us the option to get them easily.

I love the video ipod (even though I don't have one yet) because it's like carrying around a wallet full of things you like to look at, just like having little pictures of family or friends in a real wallet, you can download funny commercials, random clips from the internet, demo reels, movies, whatever, and just pull it out and share those things with friends. not to mention that you can share boring old pictures, too.

I've got the 2nd generation ipod, and have had it for three years. This is the first time I've wanted to upgrade.

NanoGator
11-01-2005, 08:05 PM

It actually looks pretty good on the iPod screen. Also, for $2 instead of $1, you can get the music video of the song. Sometimes that's interesting. My girlfriend's having a ball with it.

Dennik
11-01-2005, 08:23 PM
With the iPod AV Cable (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9765G/A) you can hook it up to a PAL or NTSC TV and the content plays fairly well. A lot of consumer reviews are stating that video quality on TV is largely dependent on the quality of the video processor in your TV, but it looks pretty darn good on plasmas and older TVs alike from what I've seen.

The new iPod may not satisfy everyone, but it sure works for me :beer:

Happy to hear that. But given the rate that they throw new models at the market, i think i'll wait for a second or third generation of iPod video, and see what new they come up with.

TopherMartini
11-01-2005, 09:11 PM
Some would argue that DVDs are highly compressed video, since muxed MPEG-2 Program Streams need to be under 10.8Mb/s. Compression doesn't necessarily mean bad video quality :thumbsup:

Arrghman
11-01-2005, 09:21 PM
Also, the better the video sales are on ITMS, the more content will eventually be available at higher qualities. Apple is still testing the waters here, and I wouldn't be suprised if they start offering higher quality videos at some point soon to see how many people are willing to wait the longer download times and how much bandwidth they need to provide.

ReBootedOne
11-01-2005, 09:37 PM
My old iPod, (a gen3) got stolen so I ordered one of these babies...

Came in yesterday, and it's so frickin' pretty! :D

-eric

mummey
11-01-2005, 10:10 PM
The new Video iPods have a hard drive => be sure to get AppleCare for it.

I learned this the hard way. :(

rag-man
11-03-2005, 12:00 PM
Worldwide availabilty of tv-shows is excellent

"worldwide" as long as you define USA as "the world" ;o)

tozz
11-03-2005, 05:38 PM
"worldwide" as long as you define USA as "the world" ;o)
Haha, ok, thought everyone who uses iTunes could download :) Well if that's the case it's crap :p

Schwinnz
11-03-2005, 06:43 PM

I'd say, how can people pay for seeing music videos? That's like paying for seeing tv ads.

rcronin
11-03-2005, 07:11 PM
People will tend to consume that which corporations and ad agencies say is "hip and cool" to consume. Yes it is like purchasing ads. Every time you buy a movie ticket you're paying to watch ads and trailers too...

beaker
11-03-2005, 07:17 PM
I'd say, how can people pay for seeing music videos? That's like paying for seeing tv ads.I know a lot of people on this board that bought the directors series from Spike Jonze, Chris Cunningham and Michel Gondry. I and many other people here will be buying the new set with Mark Romanek, Jonathan Glazer, Anton Corbijn, Stéphane Sednaoui. Also I previously bought the Bjork collection.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AZT2X/104-0003744-2594330?v=glance&n=130&n=507846&s=dvd&v=glance
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009XRZRY/104-0003744-2594330?v=glance&n=130&%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

There are many great music videos out there. My question is, why wouldn't you want to own them?

Actually now that you mention it, even a really cool collection of commercials from for example Dave Fincher or old Michael Bay ones would be awesome too.

mummey
11-03-2005, 07:37 PM
I know a lot of people on this board that bought the directors series from Spike Jonze, Chris Cunningham and Michel Gondry. I and many other people here will be buying the new set with Mark Romanek, Jonathan Glazer, Anton Corbijn, Stéphane Sednaoui. Also I previously bought the Bjork collection.

I'm envious of anyone who has that set.

tozz
11-04-2005, 07:27 AM
Music videos can be really well done and nice to look at (got a couple of dvd's myself) but in the end it's only an ad for the song, nothing else. I would never go lower than DVD quality if have I to pay some hard earned cash, can't really see why anyone should :)
Come to think of it, music videos are ment for small screens.. guess a ipod makes perfect sense then :D

beaker
11-04-2005, 08:14 AM
The really nice thing is that this whole thing is one giant baby step in the right direction. Hollywood will finally realize that people are actually willing to pay for content without commercials so they can use them in other places other than their TV.

I remember for the longest time after dvd's first came out, execs thought that it was a stupid idea to put TV shows on dvd. They never thought anyone would buy them. Of course as soon as they realized that they could make money off it, they started selling them by by the millions.

This will eventually lead to full resolution shows being availible for download and then later on HD rez ones. People will buy it if they offer it(just like music). Most only steal because they have no other option other than going the store, buy it, rip it, convert it, blah,blah,blah, .....its a pain in the ass.

tozz
11-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Most people steal because they have no option at all. We don't get any series in sweden for example (exept for crap like Lost and Desperate Housewives). This "forces" us to download episodes from the net to be able to watch them (and later on import the dvd). Nobody is gonna buy a $100 dvdbox with a series they've never seen. One would argue that we don't have to watch tv-series, true, but then we wouldn't support the DVD boxes either.

Disclaimer:
This isn't about piracy and this is not a post supporting piracy.

mummey
11-04-2005, 04:02 PM
Most people steal because they have no option at all. We don't get any series in sweden for example (exept for crap like Lost and Desperate Housewives). This "forces" us to download episodes from the net to be able to watch them (and later on import the dvd). Nobody is gonna buy a $100 dvdbox with a series they've never seen. One would argue that we don't have to watch tv-series, true, but then we wouldn't support the DVD boxes either.

Disclaimer:
This isn't about piracy and this is not a post supporting piracy.

but in the end, stealing is still stealing. You taking the work without giving any compensation to those that have created it. Because of this, you don't have a valid argument.

tozz
11-04-2005, 04:56 PM
but in the end, stealing is still stealing. You taking the work without giving any compensation to those that have created it. Because of this, you don't have a valid argument.
So buying DVD's I'd never buy otherwise, hence giving the creators a shitload of cash isn't a valid argument? But watching TV and not paying them a cent is? Funny :)

RobertoOrtiz
11-04-2005, 05:19 PM
People we in the business of CONTENT creation. it is in our interest that

Steve Jobs experiment works, because it opens more door for the independent animator/ artist to make a living.

-R

mummey
11-04-2005, 06:25 PM
So buying DVD's I'd never buy otherwise, hence giving the creators a shitload of cash isn't a valid argument? But watching TV and not paying them a cent is? Funny :)

Only in your twisted reality. Considering buying a DVD? Maybe you should read reviews rather than download episodes illegally.

Also, you DO pay for watching TV. ever hear of commercials?

beaker
11-04-2005, 06:50 PM
but in the end, stealing is still stealing. You taking the work without giving any compensation to those that have created it. Because of this, you don't have a valid argument.Well tv shows broadcasted over the public air waves, recorded and distributed over the internet are still technically in the "grey" area. Thats why only the MPAA and the RIAA are going after people, not any television organizations.

Ripped TV shows from paid dvd's are the only thing they could actually sue people for, not stuff recorded off public airwaves. The FCC licenses those signals to companies, so technically the people/government own them. Which is why they can sensor what content can be broadcast.

This is the same reason why there haven't been any suits over Tivo or any of the other cable dvr's yet. It realy pisses off the cable and tv companies that your skipping over their commercials, but they don't have much legal ground to stand on to stop you from doing it.

tozz
11-04-2005, 07:29 PM
Only in your twisted reality. Considering buying a DVD? Maybe you should read reviews rather than download episodes illegally.

Also, you DO pay for watching TV. ever hear of commercials?
Since when does a review reflect anything but the mind of a single individual? I don't care what they think, I care about what I think, it's my cash you know. Perhaps you go around thinking what other people tells you to think, I rather judge for myself.

I don't watch commercials, tv-stations get payed, yes, but that money is then spread thin before it ever gets to content creators. Also, stations buy series very late and axed shows almost never gets showed.

Just see what DVD-sales has done for TV-shows, it's that simple.

AJE
11-05-2005, 11:37 AM
The cool thing is that many people spend 45-60 mins on a bus/subway going to work everyday... now they can watch shows that they've missed on the way.

The other thing is that most of those people probably don't have time to watch TV (especially if they've missed the episode when it aired), so instead of doing something constructive, like reading on the bus/subway, they become reaffirmed consumers.

I'm not entirely sure that's a great thing for society.

Nichod
11-05-2005, 11:48 AM
The beginning of the revolution. Funny that Bill Gates predicted this, but Apple is really the one starting it.

gga
11-05-2005, 10:03 PM
This is the same reason why there haven't been any suits over Tivo or any of the other cable dvr's yet. It realy pisses off the cable and tv companies that your skipping over their commercials, but they don't have much legal ground to stand on to stop you from doing it.

Err... this is not right. ReplayTV (which has always offered a superior product than tivo) has gotten sued TWICE due to offering more functionality. Their first suit was due to their 30-second skip button. The second lawsuit was due to its ability to share programs over the internet from one Replay machine to another.
In some ways, these lawsuits are funny as many studios are also partially investors in the companies that make these machines, so it is kind of the content division sueing the harware division.

CGTalk Moderation
11-05-2005, 10:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.