PDA

View Full Version : skullies!

kyphur
02-26-2002, 11:16 AM
Well, just wanted to post some pics of my first models that I did in Maya.

http://www.kyphurland.com/images/maya/skull011badass.jpg
http://www.kyphurland.com/images/maya/skull001.jpg
http://www.kyphurland.com/images/maya/skull004.jpg

This is my first attempt at full SubD modeling and I'm pretty happy with it. I changed the camera to 16mm and I'm using Depth of Field settings. I'm also using the default renderer that's with Maya. This is just for basically an intro to Maya class that I'm taking. We're focusing more on lighting and surfaces (hence the name of the class, surfaces, shading and lighting). I've begun working on my final and if that looks worth a flip I'll be putting it up here.

Using some textures that I made with my camera and photoshop. Made them tilable (sp?) and played around with them all. I had some that are marble, stone, metals, woods and tiles.

If you want to check all of them out you can go to:
www.kyphurland.com/images/maya

Anyways, I'm tired and it's late. Goodnight all.

Jason
a.k.a Kyphur

phaction3
02-26-2002, 11:34 AM
Looking pretty cool. Any way we could see some renders of the full skull just to get a better idea of the modelling? Nice composition on the renders, though

Matt_Forcum
02-26-2002, 12:16 PM
nice renders. thats maya huh? wow. how can i get renders out of the can like that! very nice.

kyphur
02-27-2002, 10:51 AM
phaction3

I'll put some more up here tomorrow after I render them at school. I have my houdini class tomorrow but I'm sure I can manage to sneak in a few Maya renders in there somewhere. :D

Ephesus

Eh, it's not that hard really. Turn the preset under Anti-Aliasing to CUSTOM and just pump the shading quality under anti-alias to around 5 to 8 as well as max shading. I usually bump the particles up too. Then I turn up the multi-pixel filter and leave it at default.

Most of it's with the lights and camera. I turned the camera into 16mm, put all my lights (2 spot and 1 area) on to quadratic decay and Dmap shadow filters with the Dmap resolution at 200 and the dmap filter size at 4. Then I mess around with the light intensity until I get what I want.

I'm still learning, this is the first class that I've messed with Maya and so far I like it a lot.

I did the depth of field with the camera also. I put a locator right on the tip of the nose and used that to measure my distance from the camera. Then set the DoF distance to that and played around with the F Stop and Focus Region Scale until I got them how I wanted.

Anyways, it's late, yet again and I need to go to bed. G'night all.

Jason
a.k.a. Kyphur

phaction3
02-27-2002, 06:47 PM
So you're a student at SCAD huh? Both Ephesus and I go there. Now that I know that you're in your first maya class, its even more impressive. What year are you and what do you think of the school? Is this a project for advanced surface modelling, or whatever they're calling it now? I'd like to see some more of what you've been working on in that class.

kyphur
02-27-2002, 11:34 PM
Yep, go to SCAD. I'm a Junior and I've been here three years now and want to leave Savannah. I like the teachers but I'm not too fond of the administration. I spent two years at Warner Bros ACME TVN Feature Film Animation before coming here. That's how I got my Maria Effing Scholarship. After next quarter I'll pretty much have my Major finished with the exception of Final I, Final II and Post Production. I'll be spreading those out over the final year at one per quarter and then it's off to find a job.

Yeah, this is for the surfaces, shaders and lighting class that I'm taking with Professor Kinney. I have three studio classes right now and they're all taking their toll on me. Especially the Houdini class which I'm not a big fan of. I like Maya a lot more but I can see the benefits of using Houdini also.

Right now I'm just beginning on my final. We have to reproduce a painting. I'm feel pretty confident in my modeling skills so I chose something that would be challenging. I've chosen a piece by an artist known as Brom. He's one of my favorite artists and I talked it over with Professor Kinney and he was cool with it.

http://www.bromart.com/gallery/DarkPast/images/blackangel2.jpg
***sorry Brom, just using this for reference!***

if you want to see more of his art just go here:
http://www.bromart.com

Anyways, gotta go get ready for my Houdini class. Talk to you later.

BTW, I'm on AIM as yonderboyPM and my UIN for ICQ is 148716483 (CG Oracle).

Ciao,

Jason
a.k.a. Kyphur

Matt_Forcum
02-28-2002, 02:14 AM
Fun stuff! im planning to model something kinda similar for my final modeling project!...kinda but not really......acually not the same at all!!!

kyphur
02-28-2002, 02:50 AM
Hey, what year are you and Phaction3 in? Are you guys both 3D Animation track or following another Computer Arts track here?

I was just curious if we'd had classes before. :D

Kyph

Matt_Forcum
02-28-2002, 03:18 AM
we are in final project with valentine. Turns out, we all wanted to do something similar! wow were brothers:D :D :D ...that was real gay. sorry.

phaction3
02-28-2002, 03:21 AM
We're both Seniors. I agree that the admin sucks here. You also have to choose your professors carefully. Some are really good, and others don't really know how to teach. I've heard Kinney is one of the good ones, though I've never had a class with him. We're both 3d, both in final1 now. We started before they changed the cirriculum so we only get one final class, then its on to post next semester. I'm actually kind of disheartened now that I see the image that you plan on doing for your final. I was going to do something almost exactly like it for a high res model for my demo reel, and I had no idea that the design existed already. Looks like I'll have to find something else....again. Nuts. I need to come up with some sort of character design for a female model. I haven't ever tried one, and I figure I should at least have one female on my reel to show some diversity. Good luck on the final, it will be hard as hell to crank that painting out in 2 weeks. My aim is Phaction3 as well if you want to chat.

kyphur
02-28-2002, 04:13 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about it, in fact I'd go ahead and do it. Btw, that is a female in the model so I don't know how similar your piece is to the one I've chosen. Don't let that discourage you from doing it anyway since we're in two different classes. ;)

I'm also doing the old track but I'm using my electives to fill out the new track at the same time. That way I'll have the best of both worlds and hopefully that will be helpful in some way. SCAD was nice enough to take some of the time with WB and make it into class transfers so that helped a bit also.

Anyway, I gotta get the scanner working on my wife's computer so I gotta jet.

Talk to you later,

Kyph

doppelganger
03-04-2002, 03:39 AM
Sorry to ressurect a relatively old thread but I saw you guys are SCAD students. I am starting next quarter (spring) and it was good to hear you guys find it to be a good school. I am a transfer student coming in as a Soph (a few hrs from Junior) Luckily SCAD xfered some credits from my previous school and saved me a few months and bucks.

I was working as a makeup FX artist for the past few years my last gig was head sculptor for Lone Wolf FX on the upcoming flick 8 Legged Freaks (was Arac Attack). But, you know unless you are a Baker or a Winston Makeup FX is dying fast and the digital department got 70% of all the FX shots. On the other hand CGI is just so freakin cool so I figured I would take a year and a half and get my degree before I get old and 30 : P

Any reccomendations on professors to avoid? Those to seek out? So far I have heard good things about Malcom Kesson's Renderman class but thats the only one I know by name.

Anyway, if you wanna reply offlist I can be reached at scott@doppelgangerdesign.com or by AIM deathrockabilly.

Good luck with your respective projects.

Cheers,

Scott

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.