PDA

View Full Version : Image plane and final gather / shadow casing problem

ckaestner
10-31-2005, 02:03 AM
I have a problem with an image plane and final gather.

My image plane is preventing final gather rays to go through the image plane, although its visibilty is turned off, I tried turning everything off that had something to do with visilibty (visible in reflections etc.)

So the problem is that it's not visible but still casting a shadow! I addition to that it's casting a shadow from the whole rectangular image plane geometry and not just from the actual image (the image has an alpha channel).

I know a couple of work arounds, but still would like to know if it's a bug or how to get rid of the shadow. :banghead:

Thanks for your help.

Christian

AndreasMartin
10-31-2005, 07:32 AM
Sounds as if you have faked your imageplane by using real geometry geometry...

Create correct imageplanes for all three orhogonal cameras and you shouldn't have problems anymore...

ckaestner
10-31-2005, 07:42 AM
No, I'm using the actual image plane from my rendering camera. I was surprised that it would actually cast a shadow ....

Since it is a shot for compositing (matchmoved) it needs to stay in a specific place in the 3D space and the camera is doing a 180 degree reveal. So, I'm using the measurement tool to drive the depth (distance from camera to image plane).

I mean it works great, except for the shadow that it is causing.

christian

David_Web
10-31-2005, 08:56 AM
Well, before turning off anything with visibility in it why don't you try turning "cast shadow" off?

ckaestner
10-31-2005, 09:52 AM
I would if I could, but there is no "cast shadow" check box in the render stats for an image plane since it is not actually geometry.

The only Render Stats check boxes are
Shading Samples Override
Visible in Reflections
Visible in Refractions

thanks though ...

CGTalk Moderation
10-31-2005, 09:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.