PDA

View Full Version : Email Note When Render Is Over - Apple Osx

oneczech
10-30-2005, 09:41 AM
Hi there,
this may be a question from out of this universe, but asking is learning .. so I just wonder if .. I'm not a programer so I have very little idea of the technical limitations of today's systems ... so i hope this is not too crazy:-)

I was wondering if there was a way how to script a function somewhere (on Apple OSX Tiger - AppleScript or Terminal or whatever) so when batch rendering in terminal is OVER, my mail app would send me an email notification from the office so I could get it at home. Ideally I would prefer a cell phone SMS message:-) .... but I'm already asking for too much with email, am I not?

I though of this when reading about the OSX Folder Actions ... when a specific file is put into a specific folder the script would use the mail and send a note .... or would the terminal be able to do that? I'm by no means a technical man, programmer .. this only occured to me as an idea .... so if it is reasonale it would be great, if not ... well just asking ..

thank you

YourDaftPunk
11-01-2005, 04:16 AM
Nobody is helping so I'll take a crack at it. No promises though: can't test this on my Windows box and I haven't used this stuff before!

You need two files- a mel script ending in ".mel" and an applescript ending in ".scpt".
Put the emailRender.mel in your maya/6.5/scripts/ folder and emailRender.scpt in your user folder.

The mel script would be one line:
exec ("osascript /Users/***your username here***/emailRender.scpt");

The applescript to launch the Mail.app program:
tell application "Mail"
set accountAddresses to (((your email addresses here)))
set fromAddress to first item of accountAddresses
set theMessage to make new outgoing message
set visible of theMessage to true
set subject of theMessage to "your subject here"
set content of theMessage to "your message body"
activate
end tell

And I think that might work. When it comes time to render, in the Render Globals-> Common Tab at the bottom is Render Options and there you can put the name of your mel script: emailRender.mel.

gl -shawn

Bonedaddy
11-01-2005, 05:33 AM
You can also script PHP to do this, if Mail.app is acting weird. Takes a bit more knowledge, but is cleaner, and you can do other neat stuff with it, like update databases, make thumbnails, etc.

YourDaftPunk
11-01-2005, 02:42 PM
If you get a chance, try writting an apple script (or looking up one) to send an SMS with iChat. That script would be even shorter and I think it would be hilariously uber-geek. In fact, when I get chance, I'll set something like that up for myself, but my school's renderfarm already emails me on complition and includes an image.

oneczech
11-16-2005, 10:52 AM
hmm ... that sounds like a good solution. THANK YOU

CGTalk Moderation
11-16-2005, 10:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.