PDA

View Full Version : Convert film negatives?

unseenthings
10-30-2005, 05:25 AM
Hi,
I've tried searching cgtalk and google to no real avail... I was wondering if there's a way with Photoshop (etc) to convert film negatives *scanned normally* into a proper picture. I know some scanners have the capability to do so (I have one, but it's older and limited) and I thought surely there's a way to do so, or at least someone could tell me why it's not possible, and I'll just look for that feature in my next scanner purchase.

Thanks!

halo
10-30-2005, 03:26 PM
well you can just invert them...but because negs capture colour in a different way than one expects in order to be able to be turned into colour prints later its often ideal to be able to insert the neg type into something to invert them, which is why scanning software has the feature.

You wont go far wrong inverting them in RGB/LAB in PS, but you may find that they need their colour balance kicking into line :)

bobbesch
10-31-2005, 12:56 PM
Hi, ascent,
just give

http://www.aim-dtp.net/aim/techniques/negative_film/

a shot.
This was the fifth result google spit out.

Norbert

berniebernie
10-31-2005, 02:51 PM
You'll still need to have your negative backlit (as a film scanner would do), otherwise it's not use

unseenthings
10-31-2005, 04:30 PM
Thanks for all the help, everyone. I guess the last response is the answer to the question I wanted but didn't ask... does a scanner need to be in the equation or not.

I'll check out the link and try to search better next time :-/

Thanks

halo
10-31-2005, 05:57 PM
oic...i assumed you realised a film scanner was different from a normal scanner...yes it will need to be backlit and have a decent optical resolution...remember a slide is a lot smaller than a piece of artwork...these are the reasons why film scanners are built specially rather than adapting a normal scanner which wont be anywhere as good.

unseenthings
10-31-2005, 06:10 PM
oic...i assumed you realised a film scanner was different from a normal scanner...yes it will need to be backlit and have a decent optical resolution...remember a slide is a lot smaller than a piece of artwork...these are the reasons why film scanners are built specially rather than adapting a normal scanner which wont be anywhere as good.

No, I'm pretty unknowledgeable in these areas, which is why I was asking here :)

I've got a scanner that does slides and negatives... and it really does a fairly impressive job on the negatives, considering that I've had the scanner for a number of years.. I just didn't know if there was a newer, better method using Photoshop or something so that a whole slew (of negatives) could be scanned/processed at a time, instead of one negative/slide at a time. I'm sure that scanners exist that'll scan them in large quantity, and I don't need anything like that... I was just curious. I'll just look for the slide/negative capability in the next scanner I pick up.

Thanks again for the info.

halo
10-31-2005, 10:46 PM
hmm, yep even pro scanners dont always have automation on them...there's a multitude of scanning methods used in repro for film, there's flatbeds like the home market use, film scanners dedicated to 35mm, film scanners that can take anything, and drum scanners which can also take anything...then there's different mounting methods, oil & vacuum.

if your getting good results out of your scanner than stick with it :)

CGTalk Moderation
10-31-2005, 10:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.