PDA

View Full Version : making scales for a texture.

BenDstraw
10-29-2005, 03:50 PM
Im modelling a lizard like creature and have finished the modeling stages of it. Now i want to make a scale texture for it with some variance(ex. color but generaly green). Im new to photoshop and dont have a wacom tablet(if painting the texture would be better) but im not sure. Im using photoshop 7.

Thank you,
BenDstraw

Inzomnia
10-30-2005, 12:29 AM
You should go online and find some reference photos of whatever lizard it is you're modeling. If you get a big picture (which is preferable), just try to zoom in on its skin texture and copy a snapshot of that into photoshop. The use photoshop's offset filter to move the tile around so you can clone stamp the edges and create a seamless scale texture. Afterwards, just use various adjustment masks to get whatever color you want and expand the texture by tiling it to the desired size. Use another set of clone stamps to knock out the repeats and apply some other peculiarities to the skin to finish it off.

Alternatively, you can use a combination of filters, like noise/blur/etc to create a rough skin base from which you paint on, or see if anything in photoshop's default patterns matches what you need, but I'd definitely try to find a real-world reference to pull your texture from.

If this was all greek to you then I suggest buying a book or video on photoshop, or just mess around with some online tutorials for a while until you get a little more familiar with it. Hope this helps :)

BenDstraw
11-01-2005, 09:09 PM
Hey thanks man ill try it out. :thumbsup:

SquishMe
11-25-2005, 10:58 AM
How about this:

1. Start with a blank white canvas and set your pen foreground colour to black
2. Use the Stained Glass filter to get some white cells surrouded by black borders.
3. Blur just a little bit.
4. Emboss
5. Adjust levels as needed
6. Use as an overlay or hardlight layer ontop of a greeny coloured layer

Easier than painting by hand ;)
Did it work?

hentsteph
11-25-2005, 01:05 PM
Thanks SquishMe, nice little trick...
(member.php?u=188281)

BenDstraw
11-25-2005, 01:16 PM
thanks alot that worked nicely :thumbsup:

SquishMe
11-25-2005, 02:58 PM
My pleasure.
Glad to help.

CGTalk Moderation
11-25-2005, 02:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.