PDA

View Full Version : need help rendering. Not enough memory error

Mafra
10-29-2005, 07:09 AM
lately i've been getting not enough memory error whenever i try to render something but when i preview render it, it only takes like 20 secs to finish rendering. CAn anyone help me out?

ThePriest
10-29-2005, 07:36 AM
check your hypernurbs settings

editor 2
renderer 3

chage the renderer to 2

dann_stubbs
10-29-2005, 07:38 AM
lately i've been getting not enough memory error whenever i try to render something but when i preview render it, it only takes like 20 secs to finish rendering. CAn anyone help me out?

preview rendering can use different tesselation settings compared to the "real" render

check your hypernurbs settings, or a hypernurbs in a hypernurbs type nesting (not good)

post more info on the scene and i'm sure issue will show itself.

dann

Mafra
10-29-2005, 08:10 AM
k thx for the reply. its an abstract piece so its got alotta deformers and duplicates. I disabled the hypernurb but still doesn't work.

duderender
10-29-2005, 08:54 AM
This is where Lightwave was nice. Is there anything like segment memory option for C4D? Or how does C4D handle large scenes rather than trying to load the entire scene at once.

Mafra
10-29-2005, 09:09 AM
not sure. im pretty new iwth c4d.

CosmicBear
10-29-2005, 10:31 AM
are you working with lots of high-res textures set to SAT interpolation? i had a scene recently that wouldn't render because of that. after i set the textures to MIP (tip from support) the scene rendered just fine

Incarnadine
10-29-2005, 02:46 PM
in addition to the above, remember that all post effects in AR work on the whole image in memory all at once. So depending on the size of the image to be post effect processed and the size of the model (as well as any other overhead processes running in your box) you may not have emough to complete the task and hence the message.

close any unnecessary background processes
once the render has started, close the model in the editor
and/or
render part of the model to an image, apply that mapped frontal to a background, hide the parts already rendered and render the rest in front of the background

just a couple of ideas, let us know if you find something that works

JamesMK
10-29-2005, 03:02 PM
Aaaaand a further trick that can help when balancing on the thin edge between sufficient memory and not quite sufficient memory - - - is to use the batch renderer. So, set the renderparameters, savepath etcetera and close the entire scene. Then start the render by assigning the file to one of the empty boxes in the dialog found when clicking 'batch render' in the 'render' menu.

Some plugins may also have memory-leak issues. So to further increase the chances of success, exit Cinema and restart it before launching the batch render.

duderender
10-29-2005, 08:43 PM
are you working with lots of high-res textures set to SAT interpolation? i had a scene recently that wouldn't render because of that. after i set the textures to MIP (tip from support) the scene rendered just fine

Good point, but it should be so much the SAT as it is the res of the texture. Be reminded that SAT only works up to 4000x4000 and C4D automatically will use MIP.

jsls
10-30-2005, 05:51 AM
I have been having the same problems (Out of memory error), but my scene involved particles? Any suggestions? NET would then only render on one server instead of all 8...

Per-Anders
10-30-2005, 06:06 AM
the out of memory errors appear to really be a limitaiton of working on PC's where i get them quite frequently, windows memory management is just far poorer than OSX where I've never had an out of memory error, things may slow down as it eats virtual memory but it wont die.

Things to help:

If you're using SPD then lower the ammount of memory it's using (in preferences).

Always check your Render/Editor settings with things like HyperNURBS, Metaballs, Emitters etc.

Avoid using SAT mapping unless really necesary.

Use as low resolution textures as you can get away with, and make good use of UV maps.

Don't bother with texture formats like JPEG, this just uses up more memory and processing time to uncrompress into memory.

Get rid of useless geometry before sending it to render, part of the memory usage is loading in the original scene!

Ditto for tegs like weightmaps, selection sets, HN weights and so on, each thing adds a little bit.

Composite! if at all possible split the scene up into the elements that you can render and bring it together in post.

(If i recall correctly the memory segmentation in Lightwave is more of a limit rather than a full memory paging system, so it just stops you being able to do certain things, e.g. heavy use of caches from stuff like the cloth motion designer etc, rather than enabling you to render without using a lot of memory... in fact i'm pretty sure c4d can render out higher res and using less memory with fewer problems in my experience with it).

jsls
10-30-2005, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the tips!!! :thumbsup:

CosmicBear
10-30-2005, 08:48 AM
Good point, but it should be so much the SAT as it is the res of the texture. Be reminded that SAT only works up to 4000x4000 and C4D automatically will use MIP.

i didn't know that SAT works only up until 4000x4000. thanks for the info.

in my case i didn't have textures this high res, but i had like 25 2048x2048 textures. i modelled the individual objects of the scene separately, so the out of memory problem never occurred. only after i put them together in once scene the comp went 'no no'

ThePriest
10-30-2005, 09:46 AM
how much RAM do you actually have?

Point of interest, do you have a 64bit enabled PC
If so and i did this for a recent scene with the 'out of memory' limitation.

I took the advice of a maya expert, split my drives, 64 bit os on one. xp 64 bit edition
downloaded the 64bit edition of cin, edited every plugin that the comp was running, turned my scene into a horriblle 38 million poly outdoor architectual render, ran the mofo "and excuse my french" through the half a terabit of RAM sever in the studio and it rendered gloriously
with no glitches at all

AdamT
10-30-2005, 02:55 PM
If you're running WinXP you should try adding the the 3GB switch to your boot.ini file.

CGTalk Moderation
10-30-2005, 02:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.