PDA

View Full Version : My delema Pls some one help

Mangled Poly
11-16-2002, 08:52 AM
Ok after hours of experementing i found out why the volumetric light is robing my scene... now the issue here is whey isnt the light stoping at the wall? when i click shaodws its will cast a black part fro where the light should be.. I could easly fix this problem if i lightwave could make volumetric lighting to be in a square projection instead of just a cone, cyclnder. Any one have any ideas on how to fix this... I want the light to only shine through liek it should however with volumetrics involved..

dark_lotus
11-16-2002, 12:52 PM
why didn't you just post this with your original thread?

Mangled Poly
11-16-2002, 07:19 PM
Come on 60 views and no help?

wgreenlee1
11-16-2002, 09:20 PM
Heres my square volume light....

Brett H.
11-16-2002, 09:46 PM
That black area you're seeing that you say is "robbing" your other lights is caused by the "opacity" setting in the volumetric lights settings. Change it to zero and see the difference. I've had similar problems (you would think that "opacity" would make the light "opaque" which is kinda what you want with volumetrics, but no, it makes this black area).

From the manual:
"Opacity is the effect’s surface opacity, that is,
how non-transparent the effect is. A high value
will cause an object inside and behind to blend
into the effect. Negative values are allowed that
can cause dense areas to get very bright. You
may need to increase Luminosity to compensate
for increased Opacity settings."

While this may not be a perfectly clear explanation, it means that the "cone" of light will be less transparent. Just trust me when I tell you that this setting is causing your problems, I know it first-hand.

Brett

Brett H.
11-16-2002, 09:53 PM
Here's an older render as an example. Not sure if this is what you're after (?)

Brett

Mangled Poly
11-16-2002, 11:26 PM
Turns out that was the problem Thankyou very much....

Brett H.
11-17-2002, 12:03 AM
Glad to help. Be sure to post the finished result!

Brett

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.