PDA

View Full Version : CS2: Stop "Save As" from adding " copy"?

EricChadwick
10-28-2005, 05:14 PM
In CS2, when I use Save As to save a PSD as a GIF (for example), the word " copy" is always added to the filename. Is there a way to strip this out? The "As a Copy" option is always grayed out, unless I'm saving to PSD. This is really annoying, having to remove it.

halo
10-28-2005, 06:23 PM
it will always save "as a copy" if the file your saving from contains information that will be discarded trying to fit the new file format...ie if you have alpha channels or layers that will need to be removed.

its a nause.

EricChadwick
11-02-2005, 05:14 PM
OK, thanks.

What's a "nause"?

halo
11-02-2005, 07:52 PM
a nausiating experience :argh:

halo
11-02-2005, 07:53 PM
the save as bit...not you...;)

itsallgoode9
11-04-2005, 11:01 PM
god I HATE the way things save in PS. We have this problem that you are saying, then there's also the problem of PS assuming you want to save every damn file as a PSD..why the f*ck can't I change these defaults. As you can tell i'm a little annoyed with Adobe at the moment. i'm about to snap and do everything in msPaint or somthing. lol

LanMan_themovie
11-08-2005, 10:44 PM
Right, seriously this has bugged me for years. Can I not crack into the program somehow or find a config file with defaults or something? Patch it? Hack it? I'm so sick of it.

After 12 or 13 versions of Photoshop by now, maybe someone needs to let Adobe know this kind of crap.

EricChadwick
11-08-2005, 10:47 PM
I put the same post on the Adobe forum. If they're listening, and it is deemed a high-enough priority, then we might see it in a future version.

Sanne-chan
11-14-2005, 12:53 PM
god I HATE the way things save in PS. We have this problem that you are saying, then there's also the problem of PS assuming you want to save every damn file as a PSD..why the f*ck can't I change these defaults. As you can tell i'm a little annoyed with Adobe at the moment. i'm about to snap and do everything in msPaint or somthing. lol

You're so right! Sorry Adobe, but I'm a big girl now, so I can decide for MYSELF how I want to save my files thank-you-very-much!:rolleyes:

bluemagicuk
02-12-2006, 09:39 PM
Has this problem been fixed yet? In cs2?

Whipyo
02-12-2006, 11:04 PM
My CS2 (Mac) never adds the word 'copy' to a filename. I'm not sure if this was something that was fixed in an update or if it was always that way on a mac.

Instead of adding the word copy to the file, there is a greyed out 'save as copy' box which is now ticked to inform you that it is indeed a copy.

dirkusrhombas
02-12-2006, 11:55 PM
The part in this thread I was specifically wondering about was the save as function ... can you set the default to save as a .jpg instead of .psd .... ps automatically choosing whatever it thinks is "best" normally .psd when you save as . Man is that annoying.

Whipyo
02-13-2006, 12:21 AM
Whatever format your image has been saved in previously is what photoshop selects in the save as dialogue. If you open a JPEG, work on it (without making new layers etc...) and then save as, JPEG is selected in the save as.

If you are making a new file, it has not been previously saved in any format so photoshop assumes that since you are using photoshop it will save it as a PSD by default.

You could save a file in the format you want and then use this file as a template which would select the correct format in the save as but you would probably need to resize this for each image you create. I think the time involved in doing that far exceeds the time it takes to change the pulldown menu in save as from PSD to the format you want.

EricChadwick
02-13-2006, 02:06 PM
The way I "solved" this was to create separate Actions for specific formats.

BlueFlare
02-13-2006, 10:54 PM
One should never use Save As to save to common formats like Gif, Jpeg or PNG.
The Save for Web offers advanced compression, preview and color profile options that the Save As option doesn't have. If you use Save for Web then you won't have the "copy" problem and there won't be a need to flatten the layers to get rid of it.

kraal
02-18-2006, 02:57 PM
first the reason why photoshop assumes PSD is cause you are using photoshop specific features it is trying to keep you from screwing up by hitting save and then forgeting you have that one hidden layer you need later.

second i personally dont use save for web.

bluemagicuk
02-18-2006, 06:26 PM
first the reason why photoshop assumes PSD is cause you are using photoshop specific features it is trying to keep you from screwing up by hitting save and then forgeting you have that one hidden layer you need later.

I dont screw up :) ... its really crap that there arent more options available to customise and personalise the way we design each day.
I have to save 100's of times a day on ps (some days) and it is really ... really irritating to have to re-select the relevant settings every time i hit "save as" just because I added a layer.

SylvanMist
02-18-2006, 07:43 PM
I also can't stand how _copy is added to the files names. I have CS2, this does not happen to PSD or JPG files, but it does still happen to BMP files(I cannot uncheck the save as copy option with bmp). I don' tknow if it happens with other file formats, didnt' try them all.

It gives a warning message:"File must be saved as a copy with this selection"

Why? Simply to make me delete the "copy" addition to the file name? :p

itsallgoode9
02-19-2006, 07:29 PM
the thing i'm wondering about is if there is actually some advantage to PS doing this that we're overlooking....cause i've done that milions of time. Complain about some feature or setting in a program forever then all of a sudden I realize that the "problem" i've been complaining about is actually beneficial to have. So far, the only reason I can think of (which isn't a good one) is that Adobe is just trying to push thier PSD format out there to become THE standard that everybody uses:shrug:

oh, and it is TERRIBLY annoying when you have a ton of windows upen at the end of the day and are shutting down and have to go through and manually switch the format on each one when you save. It turns what should be a 1 minute process into a 10 minute process...ugh

CGTalk Moderation
02-19-2006, 07:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.