PDA

View Full Version : Behind the Scenes the next BIG Fantasy Movie: ERAGON (Dragon)

RobertoOrtiz
10-28-2005, 02:17 PM
Direct link:
http://media.shurtugal.com/2005/october/27/eragonvid-high.mp4

PS we need a mirror before the video is taken down.

-R

Solothores
10-28-2005, 03:08 PM
Official Movie Page (http://www.eragonmovie.com/)

why o why eragon?
so many works out there, and still they choose eragon...
oh well :p

(Btw Boll's Dungeon Siege II comes in two parts, so I just wonder how much fantasy trilogies does the market still take, till the audience feels saturated and drops it?)

Teyon
10-28-2005, 04:35 PM
SWEET! I Love this story. I hope they don't go all cutesy on the dragons and give us something closer to dragonheart. I can hardly wait. This one made my day Roberto, Thanks.

Apoclypse
10-28-2005, 05:22 PM
I found the story amaturish and derivative, but it did have heart. The second book got some scathing reviews, ouch.

Teyon
10-28-2005, 06:11 PM
Yeah I can see where you'd say that but in the same sense, there aren't as many books for kids being written in that genre as well as it was. MOst are a snore from end to end. I should know...my gig between cg jobs is at a kids bookstore.

Slurry
10-28-2005, 07:09 PM
It looks like a promising film. Good actors and a director who has been associated with good films in the past. I wonder if this is his directorial debut?

Having a singer in the cast makes me cringe though. It seems to cheapen it for me somehow.
Not that there aren't performers who can do both well...it's just that there a lot of personalities who use fame from one career (singers/rappers/wrestlers/models) into a film career.
Most of whom have no business being on screen other than a studio hoping their popularity will cross over and increase ticket sales.

Too bad they kept name-dropping LOTR and Harry Potter. That kind of thing generally turns me off and makes me question how good it will be on its own merit.

What they showed looked good. They didn't need to blatantly associate it with past successful franchises.
But from the title of this thread, maybe that kind of marketing hype works. :shrug:

Art

Bonedaddy
10-28-2005, 08:12 PM
Interesting thing is that the director is a VFX guy, not coming at this from the regular director's background. I'd be curious to see how he does, see if he turns into the next Fincher/Cunningham, or if he just gets overburdened with visuals and loses track of everything else.

DorkmanScott
10-28-2005, 10:48 PM
I love the part that goes "A project this unique" as they show a concept painting clearly ripped off of Jackson's Minas Tirith. Genius.

slaughters
10-28-2005, 11:18 PM
I enjoyed the original book and the sequal, but had never heard of them till recently.

The cast looks solid and I hope the film is successful.

I also look with envious eyes toward the 19 year old author who self published his own book and now has a best seller and a major motion picture out of it.

joshmckenzie
10-29-2005, 10:16 PM
Yeah I can see where you'd say that but in the same sense, there aren't as many books for kids being written in that genre as well as it was. MOst are a snore from end to end. I should know...my gig between cg jobs is at a kids bookstore.

I've not read Eragon, but I've always thought that Sabriel by Garth Nix would translate well to the screen. It's a good, not great, story but has the sort of fantasy elements that film producers seem to be scrambling for nowadays.

foxco
10-29-2005, 10:32 PM
NICE eragon and eldest were sweet books for their genre. i hope it comes out bettter than thos harry potter movies!

i cant wait

-fox

Lunatique
10-30-2005, 04:42 AM
I still cringe when I remember the horrible, over-the-top acting Jeremy Irons did in Dungeons and Dragons, and that's coming from a huge Jeremy Irons fan. I think that's the only bad acting I've ever seen from him--so I attribute it to the talentless director who should never have been given the chance to direct, no matter how passionate he was about D&D. It was a really sad case, because typically you want to root for people who are passionate, but he just lacked talent, period.

Sad Stalker
10-30-2005, 08:15 PM
Very interesting informations here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0449010/

Especially when making some comparisons with the "Lord of the Rings" Jackson's trilogy.

In fact, some very fine social engineering there, when you read between the lines.

It seems that the elements which annoyed some people at Hollywood, because Peter Jackson kept respectfully the spirit of the Tolkien's masterpiece, are being corrected with this "Eragorn" movie (the same thing is happening now with two versions of "Beowulf": a respectful one, which is now finished and a "corrected" one, which is to be made next year).

Btw, it's not a very clever strategic choice on a marketing and financial point of view, because people now are less and less blind in front of this social engineering.

P.S: a warrior called "Jihad", just fine in those times.

kittycat
10-31-2005, 12:42 AM
I can't find the trailer for Eragon. can any one help me out?

rblitz7
10-31-2005, 12:50 AM
Any mirrors of trailer?

kraal
10-31-2005, 03:45 AM
you ask why that book among others well being an inventory manager for 3 years at borders booksstores you would know that the sells of that book alone and the anticipation of the second was second to harry potter when it came to youth asking about books.

i would expect redwall to be soon

Darktwin
10-31-2005, 07:29 AM
hmm, I'm really liking the casting of this film so far, it looks very promising, I'm definitly going to give this one a go when it hits the big screen, I really like Djimon Hounsou, Jermey Irons and Gerett Hedlund is a young up and coming actor.

Looks very promising

arvid
10-31-2005, 08:44 AM
now where's that mirror :p

guerillo
10-31-2005, 11:51 AM
don't know if i'm allowed to, but i uploaded a mirror for the .wmv and .mp4 "high" versions here:

http://www.rocketsociety.net/vid_files/xxhigh.mp4 (24 MB)

http://www.rocketsociety.net/vid_files/xxhigh.wmv (18 MB)

i'll keep them up until they reach a 70 GB limit. or someone insists i put them down.

have fun,

b

Teyon
10-31-2005, 12:07 PM
Here's the Official Site

http://www.eragonmovie.com/

arvid
10-31-2005, 12:55 PM
don't know if i'm allowed to, but i uploaded a mirror for the .wmv and .mp4 "high" versions here:
have fun,

bThanks!

but. err, man was that trailer way over the top or what, they spent most of the time trying to convince me it's the next LOTR instead of letting the movie speak for itself. :rolleyes:

squidinc
10-31-2005, 08:14 PM
wtf? Joss Stone in a movie?.. that's just weird

Darktwin
11-01-2005, 04:57 PM
wtf? Joss Stone in a movie?.. that's just weird

quoted for agreement, damn people product placement, popular singer to help the popularity, I find this to be a little annoying, but I'm not the one making the decisions.

slaughters
11-01-2005, 06:58 PM
.. popular singer to help the popularity....Popular singer?... OK, who the heck is Joss Stone?

Besides that - I am awful tired of listening to people bash others because they are popular. Think for a moment - if this was a totally unknown actress would you have said the same thing? Why not give her the same curtesy you would a total unknown?

Hoser
11-01-2005, 07:31 PM
Well they mention Joss Stone as an international singer not an up-and-coming actress. Unless this is a musical, why try to use her name? It's kind of cheesy.
It's like saying, "With sewing phenomenon, Mary Baker!" What's the point?

slaughters
11-01-2005, 07:41 PM
...why try to use her name?...I don't know...Maybe for the PR value? :)

Still means nothing about whether she is a good/fair/horrible actress though.

But, if she is anything but excellent there will be some rabid anti-fan, waiting in the wings, ready to rip and tear into her performance.

Spritemare
11-01-2005, 07:43 PM
I must be out of the loop....never even heard of the book.

Apoclypse
11-01-2005, 10:06 PM
The books story was plain, and derivative anyways. What makes you think the moviw would be any better. But with the story its understandable as the author was very young when he wrote it. But this is sad that eragon has movie out before pullmans and his dark materials.

CGTalk Moderation
11-01-2005, 10:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.