PDA

View Full Version : ULTRA mini challange

SHEPEIRO
10-28-2005, 11:54 AM
i had a day off work yesterday, and decided to do a very quick project/challenge, i wanted to create some cars using very few polys (under 1000) and a small texture area, less than 256*. so heres what i came up with.

first i made this super low poly landrover, i did it from memory so it may not be completely correct, but it is only 280 tris, with a 256x128 map, so im pretty pleased.

secondly i made a mini cooper, this was built from blueprint so its pretty accurate, but i used a few more polys for this one, 700 tris, and a 256x128 map again.

the idea behind it was to do something in a day that would suppliment my portfolio, and work as possible handheld models or possibly rts.

C&C please

HellBoy
10-28-2005, 01:00 PM
haha, funny cars, I like the mini car

you should do realistic texture under the car, but you did the two in one day, plus its texture, now thats hyperactive man

I think tiny shine would do it

well done

SHEPEIRO
10-28-2005, 01:12 PM
didnt have any refs for the underside, i know what you mean about it. but i dont think they are shiney. are they, havnt looked under a car recently.gonna try a gt40 soon, with about 500 polys that should be fun, should have enough for a garage in about a week.

AdamAtomic
10-28-2005, 02:34 PM
Nice job! This is easily some of your best work, at least that you have posted here. The only thing I would change is the light gray on cyan paint job on the mini - its very hard to read and does not look good at all. Swell work otherwise!

SHEPEIRO
10-28-2005, 03:41 PM
cheers adam, i thought you might appreciate them.

I know what you mean about the decals, although they look alot better in veiwport, i think Jpeg compression hasnt done anything for them. but i will try some other decals/colour schemes as they are on seperate levels in PS.

i enjoy doing these alot, so im thinking i might bash another couple out over the weekend, if i have time.

cay030
10-28-2005, 03:49 PM
SHEPEIRO,

Very cool looking cars, great idea and follow through. Good job

Chris Youngblood
http://www.cyoungblood.com

hsi
10-28-2005, 11:24 PM
this is absolutely great. ive been thinking of doing something like this, only with mini military vehicles :D

whenever i get the time to do it, ill upload.

once again, very nice :)

Tumerboy
10-30-2005, 07:23 AM
Nice work, I love quick low res models. It's like miniatures in the 3d or something. . . cool stuff, make more.

Por@szek
10-31-2005, 06:59 AM
Thats cute Shepeiro. Lovely done, and nice balanced textures.

Cool :thumbsup:

SHEPEIRO
10-31-2005, 07:58 AM
porsek cay and tumerboy- cheers folks

hsi, yeah i thought about doing a set of military stuff, but then i thought id have more fun with texturing an eccelctic range of cars, will make a quick ultra low poly showroom for them to go in when ive got enough.

planning to do a 50s lorry, bike with biker, an old peugeot 107(in marroon like i had when i was kid), a ford mustang, and a lada.

i modeeled a gt4o race car this weekend im quite pleased with the results (750 tris), but i only had blue prints for the top and side view, so some of the intakes are a bit muddled as i had to gleen the rest of the info from the model in PGR2 which is a road addition( ithought the race edition was in there but couldnt find it, is it there?). i started on the texture its a 512x256 this time as its quite a wide car and putting it next to mini it needed bigger map to get texture density right. im trying out that technique of drawing the texture as a grey scale image first then adding the colour as another layer later. basicaklly im only half way through getting the line work right, so long way to go.

i also modelled a race car driver, but im gonna change him into a biker, hes 600 polys with a 256X128 map, gonna make a bike for him with similar poly/map quota.

i also changed the colour scheme on the mini quickly i think its a little better, whad da ya tink.

i would have got more done, but halloween party on saturday made sunday a complete washout.

sorry for the waffle iron, the change in the clocks does wreird stuff to me brain

EDIT- just done some searching on the net and found out its a GT40 mkII so i know what ive gotta change, the the front wheel bumps arches things(god i forgotten what they are called) are not bumpy enough, and the exhaust are too small and in slightly wrong place, and the intakes at rear need fiddleing -EDIT

SHEPEIRO
10-31-2005, 11:16 AM
this is what it will look like, although im giving it my own color scheme

C&C on progress so far please.

Prs-Phil
10-31-2005, 02:35 PM
nice man, the GT40 is coming along great.

I dig the colored mini, and IŽll ask you again not to show off work on a black background that is really annoying :P

SHEPEIRO
10-31-2005, 02:40 PM
oi what black background, i think youll find thats maxes dark UI setting there, a splendid shade of charcole grey me feind, i mean friend. maybe your monitors too dark, maybe mines too light who knows!

cheers for comments, more please.

Prs-Phil
10-31-2005, 11:50 PM
hahahah yeah thats true, sry

make it lighter :D

127 127 127 ... the neutral formula ;)

Nah, sadly this error was human, not technical, I apologize.

SHEPEIRO
11-01-2005, 09:48 AM
its probably those dark glasses you wear, take them off when your inmdoors. :scream:

i will change my backgroud to mid grey. i did those pics in dark room and they obviously looked alot better, when i see them in light room, it does look a wee bit dark dont it.

SHEPEIRO
11-03-2005, 07:50 AM
man i got peed off with this gt4o, pretty much finished the texture but im not happy with it, not that keen on painting in grey scale, or maybe it was trying to fake the geometry on this beast, any way it got the better of me and i was lured off by a lambo,

please crit this and tell me of any good grey scale texture creation tutorials

SHEPEIRO
11-04-2005, 08:55 AM
come on guys i need some help with this one.

please

CGTalk Moderation
11-04-2005, 08:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.