PDA

View Full Version : AO multipass question #2

sketchbook
10-28-2005, 09:40 AM
i have a scene which needs to be rendering multipass as a layered psd file.

I need a layer for the main image (sans shadows and reflection), a layer for the shadow, and a layer for reflection.

typically i would do a blend channel (with all but shadow and reflection checked) and then add a shadow and reflection pass in the multipass setup.

however, with the addition of AO, i have been having issues figuring out how to get this to be separate as well. being that it has something to do with "ambient", do i uncheck ambient in the blend channel? what about diffuse? does that have anything to do with it?

thanks

STRAT
10-28-2005, 09:45 AM
i know it's not needed, but to be honest i find it sooooo much faster rendering a separate ao image out. no need to faff about with lighting or anything for it in your main model.

literally turn all the objects in the scene a luminous white, add an omni light anywhere in the scene at 0% brightness, click on the ao apply to scene button in the render settings and hey-presto, ready to render your ao image with minimal fuss and effort.

this pure ao image can then be comped over your colour image in photoshop in multiply mode. this way i find gives more control over exposure and contrasts than trying to fiddle and get it right straight off in your main colour render in c4d.

brammelo
10-28-2005, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the tip STRAT :)

Sindala
10-29-2005, 09:40 AM
I've been playing around with multipass the last weeks, i should have done this much earlier, but isnt it easier to just add an ao pass?

how do i get the background image in btw?

CGTalk Moderation
10-29-2005, 09:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.