PDA

View Full Version : Material Opacity not Transparency?

neods
10-28-2005, 07:39 AM
..Is there a way to have a shader that does opacity so, that you don't have to worry about the intersections of front and back facese in transparent objects. like using the shader as the layer opacity in photoshop.

http://www.xsibase.com/thumbnails/1123259999_special_opacity.gif

anyone?

brammelo
10-28-2005, 09:22 AM
assign a display tag to your object and animate the visibility parameter. Make sure your Ray depth is set high enough, or the image might "pop".

Good luck,
BaRa

rob rhodes
10-28-2005, 10:25 AM
wow great tip bram - i pick up so much useful stuff on this forum. Didn't really think about this before but can now think of loads of uses for this function! Cheers

Creature
10-28-2005, 12:01 PM
Btw - is there a way to hide the "inner edges" of an object with an animated visibility track? Cause when you fade something in it's not as fading an AfterEffects layer in. In 3d visibility edges of the object facing away from the camera become half-visible which is not always the desired effect.

AkaKico
10-28-2005, 06:54 PM
Btw - is there a way to hide the "inner edges" of an object with an animated visibility track? Cause when you fade something in it's not as fading an AfterEffects layer in. In 3d visibility edges of the object facing away from the camera become half-visible which is not always the desired effect.

I've often wondered this too. To the best of my knowledge, it only be done post.

Per-Anders
10-28-2005, 07:38 PM
there was a shader that someone wrote for this at one point, what i do i generally use post anyway for this sort of thing (and object id for masking), but you can also use a material with just pure transparency or alpha applied to teh backface of your objects, in many situations this will do (though in others it makes things worse depending on the complexity of your shapes).

CGTalk Moderation
10-28-2005, 07:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.