PDA

View Full Version : weapon:Old Sword

werd
10-28-2005, 12:42 AM
This is my "worn" sword. Ive been making a collection of low poly weapons and this is the first one Ive started textures on. I wanted an old feel for it, kinda worn out and used looking.

the model is 198 tris, textures are drawn on 512x512.
I know its simple but im just getting the hang of the low poly thing.
http://usera.imagecave.com/werd/medswordrender.jpg
http://usera.imagecave.com/werd/medswordrenderwire.jpg

orko60
10-28-2005, 01:22 AM
Why make it so low poly, if you don't mind me asking, in this day and age? Weapons in FPS games now are running a few thousand polys.

werd
10-28-2005, 01:36 AM
Well, first I didn't realy mean it for a fps game, more just to see what I could do with a few polys. Second, because thats realy all I needed I guess, it doesnt look that bad does it? Thirdly, I realy have no clue what im doing with game models, or any models for that matter:) . Im still relatively new at this.

orko60
10-28-2005, 01:59 AM
I didn't say it was bad; it's not. I'm jsut wondering what the purpose of such a low poly-count is. :)

I am also new at this! Good luck to both of us!

-Zack

SHEPEIRO
10-28-2005, 04:18 PM
hey man good job,:)
this is fine for something like a rpg, or perhaps even a next gen rts, what evea i would say low poly count is good, but you could go even lower poly, but i think you have a nice flow of polys as it is, and the texture is nice too.

the only thing i would change is perhaps add some detail around the hilt, maybe make the band between hilt and handle another colour, plus maybe make the wound thread on the handle tighter(thinner)

werd
10-28-2005, 04:53 PM
orko60- I know you didnt mean it like that, and actually the model is so lowpoly because it originally started out as a model for the mmorpg "Dark and Light". they were having a contest where anybody could make an item and texture it, and the winner gets his in the game. I missed the deadline on the contest tho, so it kinda just turned into a learning project.

shephiro- thanks, I went and changed the handle a bit. added a brass color for the little band and fixed the wraps. I also did some sort of inscriptions or something on the hilt cus it was looking dull.
http://usera.imagecave.com/werd/medswordrender3.jpg
http://usera.imagecave.com/werd/medswordrender2.jpg

HellBoy
10-28-2005, 06:32 PM
by the way man, I love ur avatar

luciferous
10-28-2005, 06:53 PM
looking good for a nice low poly model, what resolution is your texture at by the way?

having a high poly model is nice but still making something as low poly as possible means a games engine can run faster.... anyways chinese grub is here!

werd
10-31-2005, 03:49 AM
could someone (preferably with some experience in the feild) list for me some current reasonable polycounts for PC games(next-gen too if u like). things like Fps weapons, fps main characters, rpg main characters, rpg weapons,rts units, vehicles, ect..

If anyone could help me out thatd be great.

Oh, by the way luciferous, the textures are on a single 512x512.

beta_darkheart
10-31-2005, 04:51 AM
hi werd....i too i'm starting to learn how to make low poly weapons
could you tell me is it all piece or are the blade and the handle seperate?

werd
10-31-2005, 04:09 PM
beta_darkheart- hello there, yes the whole sword is one piece.

And since nobody answered me on the polycounts ill ask this question. I have two main character models that I built. One is a 3200 tris kind of plain and hard to animate model. Next is 20,000 tris and includes every detail right down to the fingernails and some veins.

Now the question is what should I do, use one of my existing models, or take the 3200 model and add details, or take the 20,000tri model and cut it down.

I must say the 20,000 tri character would look so sweet ingame but im not stupid, I know that is an outrageous polycount. For current games anyhow:) .

this isnt for any game in particular, its just an Fps model.

SHEPEIRO
10-31-2005, 04:28 PM
take the 20,000 poly, create a lower poly version 5000-8000 tris or so, and bake normal and lighting(use light tracer, with gradient sky) info from high to low.

CGTalk Moderation
10-31-2005, 04:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.