PDA

View Full Version : Rendering Normal Maps with Spec/Diffuse in Maya

DeadBoy
10-27-2005, 10:04 PM
Hey All,

I been recently teaching myself normal mapping using Maya and ZBrush, and had a question about rendering them. My characters have spec and diffuse maps, and for some reason when I apply them to my model and render I often get strange artifacts, like random white splotches on my geo.

I've double and triple-checked; no UVs are overlapping. is there some special way in Maya for attaching spec and diffuse maps when a normal map is being used? What is the best way to render them?

thanks in advance!:thumbsup:

hsi
10-28-2005, 12:42 AM
the only way to render normalmaps properly is Maya Hardware renderer.

edit: lol i was sure you actually meant RENDERING them. lika beauty-render :P :P

GradiusCancer
10-28-2005, 12:54 AM
I apply the spec map under Specular Color, Diffuse like a standard color map. I reckon you're familiar with the application of the normal, but if not I wrote a basic steps tutor rendering the normal
http://chrisholden.net/tutor/tutshellnorm.htm
again that's really basic, I plan to update it now that I have a few more complex examples I can use. I've noticed in maya, sometimes the white spotty artifacts come from applying te spec incorrectly or the spec map it too bright.

rockyj123
10-28-2005, 02:45 PM
ohh u can use the jsnormaliser mental ray plugin for maya to render in mental ray...

DeadBoy
10-28-2005, 04:34 PM
the only way to render normalmaps properly is Maya Hardware renderer.

edit: lol i was sure you actually meant RENDERING them. lika beauty-render :P :P

is that true?? The normal map shows up in my software render- not as crisp as I would like, but it shows up. And my graphics card isn't good enough to support high quality rendering in the GUI.

GradiusCancer: Thanks for the help:thumbsup: , I know a lot of guys who will dig that tutorial. I myself use ZBrush for Normal Mapping, but just started a couple of months ago so I'm not too educated on the rendering part. Have you used software render, or do you use a hardware like Hsi?

rockyj123: What is jsnormaliser?? I googled it and found nothing on it.

I hope someone here knows, I've been beating my head against the wall trying to figure this one out.

DeadBoy
just saw something that may help on www.alexcarbonero.com (http://www.alexcarbonero.com). gonna try that out tonight, and maybe thehardware render buffer as well. But this seems to be an issue lots of people have had- aany other ways of problem solving this?

CGTalk Moderation
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.