PDA

View Full Version : "the Living Forest"

Peace455
11-16-2002, 01:35 AM
I don't know how many people have read the article and check out the movie but I jsut wanted to put the link in the forum. . .

http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/products/maya/customerwork/stories/dygrathelivingforest/index.shtml

Also I must say I love the trees in this movie, the way the look, and move, and the modeling of them with the face on them, I find is very inspirational and motivating. Then I thought to myself "it looks like they made the trees with Nurbs . . . ewwww"

Don't get me wrong Nurbs is a wonderful tool in certain situations, but I'm a poly man, but that must have been a length process to model them with Nurbs when it could take at least half the time with Poly's or Sub-D (maya).

But check out the link its a nice movie, I hope the movie comes to the US.

Peace:D

goosh
11-16-2002, 02:48 AM
I've been dying to check this movie out..

I'm waiting for the DVD..

Looks great!!

Frinsklen
11-17-2002, 08:15 PM
Hi,

I saw the movie a while ago.
I have to say, that even though in several moments, the result was pretty good, I feel disappointed. There's so much contrast in the quality during the movie, like if they didnt have the time to finish it and in the end they had to hurry up and do everything half-assed as Homer would say.

The script is very poor and the rithm is weird, the animation was just decent, the lighting was ok, the modeling was maybe the best part (check out those trees) but I had the feeling that there was a lack of talent, and that's why I felt a bit disappointed.
The team responsible for this deserves my congratulations, and I'm sure they'll do better next time.

Anyway I'd suggest to see it if you can, cause it's interesting to see a 90 minute movie that doesnt come from Pixar, PDI, or any other group of people with lots of money and talent.

Cheers

Michael Chen
11-18-2002, 12:58 AM
Interesting, but it not out in the movies yet (with respect to my town). I bet it's a great movie just by ready the article.

road to hell
11-27-2002, 02:48 AM
The living forest (el bosque animado) its the first film in 3d that had been maked in Spain. This is the first step for we animators 3d :) .

sforsyth
12-15-2002, 08:33 PM
Yeah, I wanted to get the DVD, but couldn't get it anywhere online. After contacting them, I still couldn't. Eventually I had to ask a Spanish friend of mine to pick me up a copy when he went on holiday to the Canaries! Talk about making it hard for customers to buy your product. I really think they need some help in that department.

Anyway, I agree with Frinkslen, some of the compositing was VERY far off the mark, with contrast all over the place. The animation was average, the lighting quite good, though it could be better in certain areas (for anyone who's seen it, I think the barn lighting outside is quite a bit off). The modelling is excellent though, as are the character designs.
Anyway, all in all, it's very much a poor man's Shrek, while watching it, you keep finding yourself saying, "God, I could do most of that", which doesn't bode well, (given my limited abilities) ;)
I have to agree, it does look "rushed" by the end of it, and it's a pity. The story could have been so much more than it was, and they obviously had some talented people there, it just lacked that... extra something needed. Let's face it, if you're not going to do something new with animation these days, then at least make sure the story rocks. I don't think this one did, and there's not many who could argue with that.

Anyway, I support the underdog, and hope to see more studios
doing this sort of stuff, so I bought the DVD anyway. I hope they're more successful in their next venture and wish them all the luck!

(only available in Spanish with English subtitles by the way (another marketing decision? ))

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.