PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on Modelling Shoulder

Reyes
10-27-2005, 06:54 PM
i have posted several works on this site in the past,but i have always experienced difficulties on modelling the shoulder i have ben mathis's short on the shoulder and look to others work for pointers,does anyone have any tuts(pic or video) that can help.
It is really dealing with the underarm part and making surev that if animated it deforms ok

TheMagnetic
10-27-2005, 07:16 PM
ive had the same issues. my best advice would be to practice assigning weights out of the norm. i would always get those underarm verts bending in and out when i moved the arm. so what i did was just assigned them to a back bone or a clavicle/scapula bone rather than the shoulder. there was some stretching of my texture but not horrible stretching. but that has seemed to work for me. ill post you a couple pics of what im talking about later on tonight after i get off work.

Gordon Moran
10-27-2005, 07:53 PM
No two shoulders are create equal. Depends on what your character is, poly limit, body type, style, etc. Best way to go about it in my experience is to throw a quick arm rig on him with basic weighting. Test the arm movement, if it doesn't work, analyze why, then remodel it. Re-rig it and test it again until you have the results you are looking for. It may seem time consuming, but you get really quick at it, and it'll save you a lot of time in the long run.

Reyes
11-02-2005, 01:01 PM
thanx for feedback,sorry i have not replied sooner(had flu)
I have attached examples of shoulder i am working on it is very much a wip but i am having major difficulties.
Everytime i settle down to sort this problem i end up giving myself major headache.And it is not just this example all my previous works i encountered major difficulties and although some looked ok i suspect that if they were to be animated(something i have not yet tackled(i am sure the deformations would be quite noticeable.
I have used other people wires for reference as well as using Atlas of human anatomy book,not to mention countless hours searching web for tuts and vids with little success
I am going out on a limb here and asking for your help
please could you send me your model (does not have to be whole model,maybe just area highlighted) which shows a good level of modelling the shoulder/arm area that if animated would look ok via email to paulkelley69@tiscali.co.uk
In Max format(i use max 7) so i can analyse the workflow and can implement into mine,(dont worry i am not in the habit of stealing other peoples work),failing that if anyone has links for a recent video tut that addresses this i would be grateful.
Really looking for male physique in high poly,lopoly and lo poly for zbrushing(which i assume is made up of quads,which incidentaly is what i am trying to achieve with this example.
some feedback i received mentioned i should do i quick rig to see how it would animate,neverv attempted rigging and will give it a go not sure which is easier to do in max bones or physique but first off i really need to concentrate on getting the modelling part correct 1st.
Once agian thanx for your time and will keep you posted on my progress

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/7674/sholuder7uy.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Prs-Phil
11-02-2005, 01:17 PM
poop did a small tut on that issue a long time ago

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/process/tips/shoulder_deform.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
11-02-2005, 01:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.