PDA

View Full Version : Question: Bitmap to vector in Illustrator?

ChrisNoeth
10-27-2005, 05:01 PM
Hi,

I have a question regarding the automatic process of converting a bitmap (Black and white) file done in photoshop automatically in a vector graphic.

Is this possible and if so can it be done in Adobe Illustrator?

I want to ink comic pages and then convert the inks to vector graphics.

Thx for your help!

Chris

Vogeler
10-27-2005, 05:21 PM
Not sure which version of Illustrator you're using, but Illustrator CS2 has a liveTrace function which could easily do that for you.

Velk
10-27-2005, 06:01 PM
Vogeler is correct Illustrator CS2 can do that, it will create a vector image out of almost any raster graphic you can imagine. It does a pretty nice job and you can actually create your own personalized settings for it.

Check out my 2-minute film challenge WIP below to see how I'm using it as a part of my workflow in live action.

Velk
10-27-2005, 06:04 PM
Figured I should give a direct link for when the one in my sig dies, link (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=2743825&postcount=13).

Also I forgot to mention that with Adobe Bridge (comes with the CS2 package) you can batch process up to 10 images at a time using Live Trace and Illustrator, might help save some time if you are doing a bunch of images.

ChrisNoeth
10-27-2005, 07:23 PM
Thank you for the fast help!

Best,

Chris

CGTalk Moderation
10-27-2005, 07:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.