PDA

View Full Version : Any 3D Artists on here in NY?

greendog
10-27-2005, 01:56 PM
Hey guys, i've been a member for a while now, and I have been unsuccessfully scowering the internet for anyone in my area that's into 3D. So if there's anyone in the NY area that wants to hang out, or knows a group or club that I can get involved in, it would be greatly appreciated. I would like to hang out and talk 3D with any number of people, possibly learn a new thing or two.

PhilWesson
10-27-2005, 02:30 PM
There are a few NY CGtalkers from what I can tell (i'm from SW CT myself). Look for MJV and BigJay.. I'm sure there are more.

greendog
10-27-2005, 02:43 PM
CT is cool too.... it's just so hard for some reason to find other people (Besides the people I graduated College with) that are into 3D in this general part of the US..... that's it! I'm moving! :D

Hypersona
10-27-2005, 02:45 PM
Im not in NY, but close enough. Central NJ. In NY every weekend though. You should check out NY 3D Studio Max Users Group, http://www.3dsny.com/. Not sure if you use max but its a good resource and group nonetheless. Meetings could be more often, but thats my only complaint.

PhilWesson
10-27-2005, 03:15 PM
What software are you using Greendog?

greendog
10-27-2005, 03:20 PM
Well, in school they taught us the basics of 3DS Max and Maya, but I went off on my own (because I felt I wasn't being taught enough) and learned more advanced features of Max and Maya and some other software like ZBrush and such. I'm in the process of trying to learn XSI I just have to find the time to sit down and do it. I'm also a Web Designer trying to get out of the Web Design buisness, so I've been using things like Photoshop, Illustrator, and Flash for like 10 years.

cookepuss
10-27-2005, 04:31 PM
Not surprised you're trying to get out of the web business. Not that it doesn't pose any challenges, but it does get monotonous after a while. Plus, unless you're working for yourself, it's not nearly as worth it. I try to get a fair share of clients also wanting CG work just to keep myself from getting bored numb.

Suprised you haven't had any other posts here from NYers. Looks like I'm the first. :)

greendog
10-28-2005, 07:47 PM
Web Design is boring as hell. Well, if any of you guys want to IM me go right ahead..... and anyone else in NY too.

ToddD
10-28-2005, 07:55 PM
I'm in NY as well :) Haven't found any active groups pertaining to 3d though :/

leigh
10-28-2005, 08:23 PM
FYI you can do an advanced member search here:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/memberlist.php?do=search

And search by city.

ZippZopp
10-28-2005, 08:38 PM
what is happening in the northeast for CG?? I'm from CT, moved out to LA and am working in visual effects, but hoped to get back to the northeast to work...is there enough/any work there?

krisr
10-28-2005, 08:46 PM
Lots of 3d artists in NYC. We are all New Yorkers here at Quiet Man. Come to the next New York SoftImage XSI user group meeting and you can meet a lot of people.....all XSI users of course. NYC is a huge hub for the commercial industry so you can find many 3d artists and effects houses here. Quiet Man, Psyop, Spontaneous, Rhino FX, Charlex, The Mill, Framestore and Pure are some of the bigger, well established places. There are many other smaller shops as well here. You can probably land a gig here if you have good XSI or Maya skills. Most places in NYC are looking for generalists though so you better be pretty flexible and be comfortable with any aspect of a project.

defago
10-29-2005, 01:40 AM
Im also from NY... and of course you couldn't find any cg artists- or are we supposed to have an actual reality social life?

There's a maya group as well, I forgot the info- and have never had the chance to attend, but I'll try and dig it up.

As krisr mentioned, mainly broadcast work around here, but some damn good, creative broadcast work. Of course blue sky is just a stone's throw away as well.

jd

MJV
10-29-2005, 02:22 AM
You missed the first annual New Yorkers Barbeque Party (http://www.mvpny.com/BBQWeb/) last July. We'll have another next summer though so stayed tuned. :) I always recommend joining the New York Siggraph chapter. They organize company visits, regular Bring Your Own Animation nights at a village pub, and a host of other interesting events.

rblitz7
10-29-2005, 03:30 AM
Well Im a junior in high school on Eastern Long Island that has recently started 3d. Oh and I want to begin my senior project which will involve 3d and you need a mentor to help you through out the year, so if any pro 3d artists want to help me out next year. Maby like a session every couple of weeks or so..just throwing it out there, lol.:D

PhilWesson
10-29-2005, 04:56 AM
by the way, MJV is a great cook.
Thanks again.

MJV
10-29-2005, 05:08 AM
Thanks David. :D

iliketheska
10-29-2005, 05:16 AM
I'm in NY.... in Buffalo, hah. A bit of a drive from the city.

CGTalk Moderation
10-29-2005, 05:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.