PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of discolor?

Striff
10-27-2005, 04:57 AM
Hi guys. Im very new to Mental Ray, and rendered this with Global illuminations :

http://www.guildmidnight.com/renders/Toilet/render01.jpg

I was wondering how to get rid of the discolorment (seems to be black blotches) around the edges of the toilet and the lid and at the base of the flusher. I had was at "production" quality and had Final Gather on. The only non-default settings on Final Gather were the rays set to 1024, and the Min and Max radius to 3.

Any idea what is causing this? Thanks.

Jozvex
10-27-2005, 07:10 AM
Which version of Maya are you using? I ask because FG changed a lot from Maya 6 to 6.5/7.0.

I think the problem is definitely the FG radius settings. Having a setting of 3/3 means that any details on the model smaller than 3 units in size will not look that good. The gap between the bottom of the flusher and the toilet seat is probably less than 3 units in size, so it just smudges the same FG across that area, and probably ends up black because it would be that dark if FG was turned off..

Try a min radius of 1 or 0.5 and keep the max radius of 3. Also, if you're using Maya 6.5 or above, 1024 FG rays is way more than what you should need. Something like 350 should be fine I think.

Striff
10-27-2005, 02:18 PM
I am using Maya 7. Thanks for the advice, Jozvex, Ill try it in a few.

CGTalk Moderation
10-27-2005, 02:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.