PDA

View Full Version : digital painting.. to soft brush or to not??

ricefarmer
10-27-2005, 05:45 AM
ok.. im using photoshop to do digital paintings and .. blending the colors with low opacity hard brush takes a long time to make smooth and sometimes u can still see the brush strokes.. and alot of the top digital artist say never use soft brushes or smooth tools... but do u guys think its okay to use the soft brush to blend colors? like instead of painting with the hard brush u use the soft ones... i dont know because people say thats cheating and cheap and not respected.. whats your take on this?

to me... it just gets faster results and makes say skin really smooth.

and one more thing.. it seems painter is a cheating program cuz it has this tool called just add water ... and it looks awesome.. http://www.deviantart.com/view/17861903/ does photoshop have something like this? cuz i dont think the smudge tool is like that tool... sure would be useful tho

dinodog-jr
10-27-2005, 07:09 AM
I guess what u r looking for is called "Liquify"

Try Filter in photoshop... U can meet this function too...

the Tutorial roxx...hehe..i am goin to explore back Painter now.

ricefarmer
10-27-2005, 07:45 AM
no digital paintings ur not suppose to use any tricks such as filters... as far as im concerned the smudge tool is the closest thing to "just add water" in painter

dinodog-jr
10-27-2005, 07:57 AM
corel painter the liquify method is looking faster..from de Tutorial link.

somehow, i dunno how to do it ...(I can't find the liquify setting in Painter 8)..

Der is a Good tutorial bout Photoshop Color blending wif Liquify & Smudge tools in Cgtalk tutorial sub-forum.. Done by Nebezial..

Have u check on it yet?

Soehow i feel it is not so easy to achieve in Photoshop too..

I am still using the same slow method like urs ... Blending by coloring wif multiples times until a smooth edges.

Smudge tools will rendering damn slow. I can't set a Good speed yet. So, i gave up on using smudge tools in Psd.

frog
10-27-2005, 04:45 PM
It's fine to use soft brushes and blending tools - the thing is to avoid overusing them and letting your whole painting become soft and smudgy. If you mix the tools and keep your edges varied between hard and soft your painting will be all the better for it.

Painter has much better blending tools than Photoshop, they're more varied and effective. However in Photoshop if you set the Smudge Tool's spacing to zero in the brushes palette you will get much better performance from it.

ricefarmer
10-28-2005, 12:15 AM
thank you frog and dino dog .. i guess i wont feell like a cheat when using the blender and soft brushes anymore :) forget what those other bastards say right?

oh yeah the blender takes to much cpu power my comp is worthless :(

i just might want to try painter cuz of there awesome blender

CGTalk Moderation
10-28-2005, 12:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.