PDA

View Full Version : why is this happening?

Layer01
10-27-2005, 02:43 AM
I'm following Joe's rigging disk 1 and i'm doing the foot, first thing that was different form his movie was when i added a bone where the toe bone was, instead of being in the same place as the toe bone it was at the null. anyway i just moved it back into place.
but then when i am writing the expression to get the heading of the toe to match the heading on the arc i get this

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/Layer01/Messiahproblem.jpg

the toe bone flips and seems to pull all the other geometry with it. and it doesnt respond to rotating as far as i can tell.
i've done it a few time now and i keep getting the same results...what am i doing wrong?

JoeCosman
10-27-2005, 03:39 AM
a common problem everyone seems to be encountering, and if you watch closely, I rotate the arch on Pitch until it faces backward (leaving heading at 0). when heading on the toe is linked up it will stay pointing forward.

-JoeC

Layer01
10-27-2005, 06:55 AM
a common problem everyone seems to be encountering, and if you watch closely, I rotate the arch on Pitch until it faces backward (leaving heading at 0). when heading on the toe is linked up it will stay pointing forward.

-JoeC

thanks for the fast reply joe :thumbsup:

i have gone back and re watched and re watched the parts leading up to the moment in question and i still cant see what i'm doing wrong. are you talking about the part where you take the bone that is in the same place as the toe bone and rotate it? or do you do something to the toe bone that i'm just missing here?
sorry if its really obvious :(

also any ideas why my "add(ed) bone" wasnt in the same location as the toe bone but instead at the null origin?

JoeCosman
10-27-2005, 05:59 PM
if both bones start facing forward, then they both have the same heading.

if you adjust only pitch on one bone, say.... 150 degrees so it aims backward, then heading is still the same on both bones and the expression works perfectly.

if you made the mistake of Left-clicking and rotating it in local coordinates, then your heading is not the same as the other bone.

Layer01
10-28-2005, 03:08 AM
ok i finaly got it working, but man was it a head screw.
why is it that when i have the Toe bone selected and press * to add a bone it is created ontop of the toe bone (like in your video) but when i press the "add bone" button which is supposed to be the same as pressing * it creates the bone in a different location, somewhere near the null. this is quite confusing.

also i Pitched the Arch bone back 150 like you said in world coordinates. and it maintained it heading, but you say that by doing the same thing with a left click means i'm moving it in local coordinates? just want to be extre certain so i can avoid this sort of thing again.

and finaly, the expression works, but i can only rotate the arch properly in Parent coordinate mode, is this right? every other coordinate mode (world, local etc) makes it jump straight up till its vertical, making the mesh go crazy again.
is there any way to bind parent coordinate mode to that bone so i dont have to remember to select it every time i want to rotate it?

Layer01
10-28-2005, 05:12 AM
ok i finaly got it working, but man was it a head screw.
why is it that when i have the Toe bone selected and press * to add a bone it is created ontop of the toe bone (like in your video) but when i press the "add bone" button which is supposed to be the same as pressing * it creates the bone in a different location, somewhere near the null. this is quite confusing.

OK after playing around some more i am guessing that add bone and * are not acctually doing the same thing, one seems ot creat a new bone the other duplicates the selected bone as the new bone, is this correct?

also i Pitched the Arch bone back 150 like you said in world coordinates. and it maintained it heading, but you say that by doing the same thing with a left click means i'm moving it in local coordinates? just want to be extre certain so i can avoid this sort of thing again.

again after more playing i think i better understand the coordinate system in messiah, it doesnt help however that the "Coord Sys" button once clicked remains always highlighted, making it harded for me to at first make out what exactly it was doing.

and finaly, the expression works, but i can only rotate the arch properly in Parent coordinate mode, is this right? every other coordinate mode (world, local etc) makes it jump straight up till its vertical, making the mesh go crazy again.
is there any way to bind parent coordinate mode to that bone so i dont have to remember to select it every time i want to rotate it?

and finally i get this too. so ignor all previous questions lol.
see my problem was i was getting confused by the coordinat system, now that i've figured it out its all good :)
thanks for your help and bearing with my noob questions ;)
*great CD's btw*

CGTalk Moderation
10-28-2005, 05:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.