PDA

View Full Version : image resolution

cshanks
10-26-2005, 10:00 PM
Anyone know of any software that can up rez images? I'm well aware of Photoshop's image size, but am looking for a professional software that can take say a 3000 pixel image and uprez it to say 8000 pixels without the image being to lossy. I've heard of a couple of applications made by extensis and genuine fractal, but wasn't sure if there were other professional applications that would work. Any help would be great.

spmonahan
10-26-2005, 11:35 PM
Genuine fractals is the only software I've heard of. I tested out the demo and compared it to Photoshop's image size dialog and I felt the results were quite similar. Similar enough, in fact, that I just stick with PS.

cshanks
10-27-2005, 12:10 AM
Yeah I work for an ad agency and we come into situations where we need images rez'd up for billboards and things like that. We have a vendor that uses a software to rez up images. We want to get that same software so we can just do it inhouse. Unfortunately, he is unwilling to use let us in on the name of the software as he is interested in getting the extra revenue from us. I know the results that we've gotten back from our vendor have been good. We've up rez'd files to make them huge (we're talking 8.5"x11" to 40'x20'). Anyone have any experience doing this kind of stuff?

c-g
10-27-2005, 12:53 AM
Yeah I work for an ad agency and we come into situations where we need images rez'd up for billboards and things like that.

Are people walking up to these billboards or are they normal ones you see high up while driving by them? There are some of the highway ones that get printed at less than 5 dpi and they look fine.

One thing we do when someone just can't get a high enough rez image is we blow it up, do a slight blur to knock off the aliasing a little and then add some noise. The blur and the high rez noise makes it look like the image was intentionally slightly out of focus or even just adds enough noise to make the viewer think it was higher rez because the noise's dots are so small.

mangolass
10-27-2005, 01:30 AM
Here's a review that compares Genuine Fractals to SmartScale:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/software/smartscale.shtml

HTH,

LT

halo
10-27-2005, 11:56 AM
your probably just as better off using photoshop..."any" benefits of using esoteric 3rd party scalers wouldnt be visible in your applications anyway. It might be different if you were producing art quality prints on say 250lpi screens or shooting 8 or 16k trannies...but billboards are pretty forgiving with that side of things. Anything that really should be recreated wouldnt be solved by 3rd party plugins anyway...

there is no magic bullet (over a decade of digital image manipulation speaking there).

CGTalk Moderation
10-27-2005, 11:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.