PDA

View Full Version : Sourcing of procs. Advice wanted!

Nenox
10-26-2005, 09:00 PM
Hi.

I'm scripting my "ass off" at the moment, making everything as procedures/functions. Most saved into seperate files. Trouble is that number of files my script folder is exploding.

So I would like to structure them a bit. Putting eg. all the procs related to handeling curves into one .mel file. And so forth. Making little proc packages, if you will.

But as far as I know Maya only sources the proc, that is equal to the script file name, on startup. And I would like to be able to call any proc from any file/other proc.

I see three options:

A: Make sure to run the source command for the "script package" you need, from within the proc that needs to call the proc from within that "script package".. Whew!

B: Make a script that sources all scripts within a specific folder. That script would have to ba called from all procs

C: Run the folder source script, on maya startup.

But I don't really know..
Any ideas of how I handle this in a sweet way?!

Thanks

mhovland
10-26-2005, 09:31 PM
What I do is set up a new folder, in my case named "libs". As I'm scripting, if I find a section of code that I am constantly copying into a bunch of scripts so I have access to the procs, I abstract the code out so that it accepts arguments and returns results, and then save it out into my "libs" folder.

If you go this route, you will have to add the "libs" folder, or whatever you name yours, to the MAYA_SCRIPT_PATH variable in the Maya.env file, so Maya knows to search there for scripts at startup.

As to sourcing all the correct scripts, I have found to be true, that as long as the script is hashed in when Maya starts, that you will have access to all the contained procs inside them.

Nenox
10-27-2005, 12:41 AM
Thanks for answering!

This is basicaly what I'm allready doing. I set up a special folder and have added it to the maya.env.

This is a test script file "procTest.mel" - that I put in that folder:

global proc procTest(){
print "procTest";
}

global proc procTestA(){
print "a";
}

global proc procTestB(){
print "b";
}

When maya has loaded, If I try to run the proc procTestA or procTestB - maya can't find it. Once I either source the script manualy or run the proc with the same name as the script, I can then run all procs contained. This is regardless of whether I do it from the script editor or another proc.

So a strategy could be to simpely have an empty proc (does nothing) that is named the same as the "script package" file. Then allways call that before calling any of the other procs contained in the script.

An alternative would be to source them in "usersetup". But I would like my scripts to work on any machine, and not have to set that up for other people.

What do you think?

goleafsgo
10-27-2005, 08:59 AM
An alternative would be to source them in "usersetup". But I would like my scripts to work on any machine, and not have to set that up for other people.

If a proc needs to be called and it doesn't have the same name as the file then someone has to source it...that's just the way it works...and that's what usersetup.mel is for so I wouldn't go too far out of your way to avoid it. All you need to do is add one line to that file...that's not too hard is it?

Personally, I don't try to avoid having a lot of .mel files with only one proc in it that is intended to be called from outside and having the names match so I don't have to source it myself.

jdj
10-27-2005, 12:56 PM
Hi nenox,

This thread might have some interesting tidbits for you:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=205912

We got a bit sidetracked at the end, but anyway.

Cheers
/ Daniel

Nenox
10-27-2005, 01:20 PM
Thanks guys!

Yeah, that thread waws dynamite. Right now I'm going for the solution of sourcing the scripts another script needs to call, in the script that calls them. But I'm sure I will try and make this smarter in the future. I'm also inspired by the Custom Character Toolkit stuff and I'm currentely building my own autorig, based on those ideas. Scriptwise anyway. I would love to create menus etc. by using folder structure like they do, but in attempting, it has beed a bit much for me to solve, at this point. But there is allways hope for the futore...

Cheers :-)

lucille
10-31-2005, 02:26 PM
I know this is minority opinion--but I think the whole business of sourcing procs from
other scripts is usually unnecessary and unhelpful. Generally the sourced procs are
small and could easily be included in the main script--certainly this would simplify editing.

If you have a core of tried and try utility procs--like zoo utiliities--there might be some merit.
Again all of these are small and could easily be cut into the main script. The only really
useful case would be a long script which is tested and fungible--but this is not really common. There is the case of wrapper scripts--but thats different.

CGTalk Moderation
10-31-2005, 02:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.