PDA

View Full Version : Design Tips?

Kansai
10-26-2005, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted in the general discussions thread but I thought this might be a better thread to get some info.

Hello all today I got a call for a web design/ graphic design job. I have alot more experience in the web field than I do graphic design. I was told today that the first assignment would be to do a layout page something similar to what we here in the united states recieve in our sunday paper's for example the bestbuy or comp usa layout spread where you see images, description and price points some graphics etc.

I wanted to know if anyone here has had any experience with this type of layout and if so can they share some tips, maybe things like printing or things I might need to keep in mind when building a layout. What dp1 300? I am pretty swift with using adobe photoshop dont use much illustrator though but I can navigate my way around the program.

If anyone can share any stories or tips that would be great. I have till thursday!! thanx for any help:)

kraal
10-26-2005, 06:17 PM
i do those all the time. They are better created in quark or indesign.

have the client provide ALL copy as a text file so you can just copy and paste information. That way you are not held responcible for typo's or wrong price or product descriptions.
if client will not provide this steer clear of the job. You are an artist not a copy writer.

keep everything within a grid colums and rows. dont get fancy
look at text as boxes and line everything up...
keep all headings same font size and all copy same font size...dont change point sizes just to make stuff fit.

make sure page is balanced

use kerning to adjust spacing in type to eliminate un wanted line breaks

spmonahan
10-26-2005, 06:18 PM
This (http://www.markboulton.co.uk/journal/comments/five_simple_steps_to_designing_grid_systems_part_1/) site has some good info that relates to both print and web design.

Other things to keep in mind would be:

Work in CMYK color space @ at least 300dpi (resolution can ultimately depend on a lot of factors but, in general, this is a good starting point).
Be aware of any margins and cut lines you may have - things (like text) tend to get truncated if you forget this part.
When your copy is done and spell-checked rasterize it (Photoshop) or convert it to outlines (Illustrator). This guarantees the text will print properly even if the place that prints your work does not have the particular font. Note: this cannot be undone so it usually is a final step.
If you will continue making print work I highly suggest you become comfortable with Illustrator and how it works with Photoshop (e.g. - use PS for doing your bitmap work and Illustrator to place the final image into a layout/design).
Those are a few things that immediately come to mind, though I'm sure there are other things that I may have overlooked. So, feel free to ask if you have any other questions.

kraal
10-26-2005, 06:29 PM
i am personally not a fan of rasterizing text. Thats why i sugest using indesign or quark but for the most part saving to a pdf should do just fine. if done in illustrator creating out lines is fine (just save a copy for editing later) but rasterizing sometimes gives me artifacts depending on certain printing factors. Also when working with a client sometimes last minute changes in text or copy come up and they need the printer to fix , correct or alter is the printer cannot do this it may lead to a problem which means no future work for you.

just my perspective on things

Kansai
10-26-2005, 07:13 PM
Hey guy's thanx for the indepth replies this information will be very useful to me. To spmonahan I am checking the linked web site you posted out now. (Edit) to kraal what about size of the page layout. Thanx again:)

kraal
10-26-2005, 07:24 PM
i am personally not a fan of rasterizing text. Thats why i sugest using indesign or quark but for the most part saving to a pdf should do just fine. if done in illustrator creating out lines is fine (just save a copy for editing later) but rasterizing sometimes gives me artifacts depending on certain printing factors. Also when working with a client sometimes last minute changes in text or copy come up and they need the printer to fix , correct or alter is the printer cannot do this it may lead to a problem which means no future work for you.

just my perspective on things

spmonahan
10-27-2005, 12:24 AM
I agree on the text rasterizing issue producing poor results (which is just another reason to stay aways from PS for any kind of design that involves text). That said it is often necessary to ensure that the text gets printed properly. Most of my work requires the use of a copyrighted font that cannot be embedded in the file so I maybe more weary of font issues than others.

CGTalk Moderation
10-27-2005, 12:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.