PDA

View Full Version : Ways of making Volume light/smoke in a light source for mental ray?

SheblomCG
10-26-2005, 11:06 AM
Ahoys!
i am doing a scene with a row of street lights, and i want the lamps to have volume fog/rays in them. I used this tutorial: http://www.jhavna.net/main.php?page=scatter and it works fine for one light, but as soon as i duplicate it, 1 works but the others dont! so then i connect them all to the same physical light node and still nothing, but the original 1 works. So what i am asking, has anyone had the same problem or does anyone hav a method that works and aint to crazy on render times? Please, help would be appreciated!!
Thanks !

slipknot66
10-26-2005, 11:26 AM
Do you need that shadow rays effect? If not , just create a simple fog, its fast and it works fine.Its under the light effects, light fog.

SheblomCG
10-26-2005, 02:26 PM
Thanks man!
i Need the shadow detail, but i figured it out in the end. All i did was made a Bounding box with parti_volume attached to it, the nattached the lights i wanted to use the volume light to it, put on the mental ray depth map shadows. and Bobs your uncle!! It works. Now all i hav to do is tweak it. But shot for the help!!
Allan

Alive
02-14-2006, 02:37 PM
Sheblom13 i did that same tutorial but i cant get the light to do the streak effect, here is what i got when i rendered mine. do you have any ideas to what i might be doing wrong?
and if it matters i used maya 7

thx....josh

katisss
02-12-2007, 08:40 AM
Did somebody find a way to do the streaks?
Would be nice for my underwater pic.

ChrisMoss
02-12-2007, 08:59 AM
To create a streak, just add a texture to the color map.

katisss
02-12-2007, 03:08 PM
to the color of the physical light?

i-d
02-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Theres one more way of doing this, not so gentle on render times
but very nice indeed.
Just put a fluid with some fog preset, make it dark or black and put
a spot light in it, thats all to it. You can use raytraced shadows or
try some GI /Fg trickery if you really want to kill render times.

chronic
02-12-2007, 05:16 PM
try turning on shadows, either ray traced or dmap i dont think it matters, and increase the volume samples on your light fog.

courte_manche
02-13-2007, 09:58 AM
Attach a physical light mr shader to your spot light, it will produce "streak effect".

katisss
02-13-2007, 04:25 PM
This is what the tutorial mentioned above is about.
Is there are a way to control the streakiness?

dreamer3dchic
02-28-2007, 07:29 AM
i've been conducting some tests with the MR parti_volume fog for a scene I'm lighting. I'd like the control of the maya lights, but I can only use them if I'm using dmap shadows. Does anyone know how to get raytraced shadows to work with the parti_volume shader WITHOUT using the MR physical light shader, or is this impossible?

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2007, 07:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.