PDA

View Full Version : BMRT 2.6 Global Illumination...

somlor
11-15-2002, 04:12 PM
Renderman newbie here. I am exporting RIBS from Wings3d
(www.wings3d.com) and rendering with BMRT 2.6. I am trying to
figure out how to configure and render a basic GI setup, like in the basic
Brazil images, ie:
http://www.splutterfish.com/sf/Images/img_e12_rocketbot-test4.jpg

I've tried:
"rendrib -radio n file"
with various n settings but I just get a
nearly flat white cutout of my 3d model.

I also tried editing my RIB and setting
"indirect" as the light source but I'm sure I did it wrong as it generated
errors.

any help appreciated.....
thanks,
Sean.

Mauritius
11-15-2002, 11:41 PM
See my post to the RMan newsgroup or wait 'til we release a new version of the RIBBit plug-in for Wings in december which will do that stuff 'automagically'.

.mm

somlor
11-16-2002, 07:05 AM
Yes. Thank you very much! Just toying briefly before work, I managed to get a decent looking render with the rib sources at the http://www.bmrt.org/hemilight/ you mentioned.

Now for my next project: to describe a GI scene in a RIB file with the proper lights, floor plane, sky, etc (ie: girender.rib) that can load a specificied geometry RIB file (ie: sphere.rib exported from wings) and render it on that plane.

Is this possible? And can it be done with variables?

ie: (just making stuff up here :))

>rendrib girender.rib -set $geofile="sphere.rib"

Sean

ps- also, is there a website or something for RIBBit so that I can check for it's release?

Mauritius
11-16-2002, 08:55 PM
You can use a RIB archive and load that into your GI setup scene using a 'ReadArchive' call.

Or you can just cut and paste the sections containing the geometry from the RIB generated by RIBBit.

If you are confused, d/l the RI 3.2 spec from the Pixar site and look up 'ReadArchive'.

I'll send you the latest w-i-p version of the RIBBit manual which should give you a few hints too.

.mm

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.