PDA

View Full Version : Huge problem.

stooch
10-25-2005, 03:21 PM
so my model is rigged and ready to go in messiah, unfortunatelly i cant get it to connect to lightwave 8.5 what is the problem here?

DMack
10-25-2005, 03:48 PM
No question about it, the best way to 'connect' them is via Point Oven Pro (cost $99). The overheads in genuinely connecting them is simply not worth it. It really is MUCH simpler and safer to use POP in the pipeline. If you're interested, let me know and I'll give you a run down of my pipeline.

stooch
10-25-2005, 03:58 PM
umm. well i paid for messiah and i expect it to work. right now i have the body of bovis attached and deforming (half assedly) and the glasses which are a separate object and connected with displace are just sitting at origin, even though they are fine in messiah. also the ice cube is connected with xform and is fine in messiah but sitting at origin in lightwave. WTF??? Point oven or not, i expect this to work as it should. Especially since this project is due tomorrow. man, im really doubting im going to be using messiah in my pipeline again.

stooch
10-25-2005, 04:13 PM
I see the problem. The ice cube is being affected by Xform but xform isnt considering the fact that i move the pivot point in modeler and is assuming that the pivot is on the floor. offsetting the cube in the process. Well atleast thats the best guess i can make. Either way. It aint working like it should. the shades, i have no idea what is going on.

fwtep
10-25-2005, 04:42 PM
Stooch, if you're still having trouble can you post the object and a stripped-down version of your scene? (Don't post an mpj because I might need to load the model into Modeler and I want to have the model exactly the same way you do, rather than saving it out of an mpj.)

Fred

stooch
10-25-2005, 04:46 PM
ok, i figured out the problem and got it working. ITS DEFINITELLY A PROBLEM that needs to be addressed or workaround made available in the documents. I am super busy right now but i will post the problem and workaround when im done.

stooch
10-26-2005, 01:23 AM
ok as promised, the problem that i found happens when i setup my rig in messiah by loading LWO objects with layers into messiah and then rigging them without moving any of the pieces.

What happens is when i launch lightwave and then click Plugins/Messiah interface and then load the .fxs scene from messiah it asks me if i want to connect automatically, i say yes and choose the items i want to connect (which are all of them) and then lightwave is updated with my items, however in lightwave everything that doesnt have its pivot at origin ends up being placed at origin. Thats why my shades and ice cube appear on the floor.

The workaround for this problem is to tell messiah not to automatically connect the items that give me the problem and then select these items in messiah and press F11 to manually send them over. When i do that, the items show up where they should.

The problem here is that every time i close the scene or reload it, i have to go through this process to get my items where i want them.

stooch
10-26-2005, 12:18 PM
and another thing. when i load these projects embedded in lightwave scenes, the objects dont show up (just bounding boxes) in either messiah or lightwave. Forcing me to reconnect all items. Deform and Transform alike.

svintaj
10-26-2005, 01:54 PM
Scary if you want to render the scene on the network! :eek:
We had a similar problem and we had to go PointOven to be able to netrender, so we didn't spend more time to find out the error source.

/ Svante

stooch
10-26-2005, 03:46 PM
yeah tell me about it. lightwave crashed 3 times last night and i had to basically relink and resetup all the objects in layout 3 separate times and pray to sweet jeesus it doesnt crash or i have to load a scene to edit a shot. That is totally unacceptable IMO. I sent an email about buying point oven but havent heard anything yet. oh well. Thank god im done. If you are in times square any time soon, you might see these animations on the big screens on the buildings.

Mike RB
10-26-2005, 04:35 PM
I had the same issue with a character I did. Net rendering failed completely and I needed to manually reconnect each object one at a time every time I loaded the scene. Point Oven is not the right answer, pmG needs to take a look at thier plugin code. Also I had a mpj version of the scene and if I said yes to the offer of messiah saving the objects out to a folder it would just vanish LW and mesisah every time. Fred, let me know if you'd like these scenes to help diagnose the problem.

Mike

fwtep
10-26-2005, 05:14 PM
Mike, yes, if you have a scene that shows that problem (the objects only showing up in bounding box), send it to the tech support address. I'm attaching a test scene here for you and Stooch to try too. Here's how I created this scene, so tell me if this *should* be having the problem you're reporting:

1) Start LightWave.
2) Load character object.
3) Add messiah:displace and set subdivisions to occur after displace (or Last).
4) Go into messiah and add Melt.
5) Make a few keyframes, then exit to LightWave.
6) Save scene in LightWave.
7) Quit LightWave (which exits messiah too, of course).
8) Restart LightWave and load the scene.

For me this worked fine.

Note: This is with LW 8.5, but it worked fine with previous versions too.) Also, the scene uses one of the Butch objects from the messiah_content folder (Objects/Butch)

Fred

stooch
10-26-2005, 06:13 PM
yep the scene you just sent has that same problem. i will do your steps now to create my own.

Mike RB
10-26-2005, 06:37 PM
Ok, I sent you my scene. And with your test scene I'm getting the bounding box problem. I loaded it, point it to the object, and get a bounding box the shape of butch in Layout. If I open messiah I get the camera, butch, and the melt, and I can see the y keyframes on butch, but butch dosent show.

Mike

EDIT: if it helps LW is reporting the right number of points and polys for butch, and I can see his surfaces in the surface editor...

fwtep
10-26-2005, 11:21 PM
Have you guys done the "lwmasters8.cfg" thing that's on our download page? If not, try it. Also, try loading the Don's Dino scene into LW (in the third-party scenes folder). That should play fine as well.

Edit: I got your scene and it works fine. I think it's just that you haven't done the lwmasters8.cfg thing or maybe you have it in the wrong place.

Fred

Mike RB
10-27-2005, 12:22 AM
No, I did the LWmasters thing. IF you get rid of that config file, does it produce the bbox effects?

Mike

fwtep
10-27-2005, 04:44 AM
When I removed the lwmasters8 file I get the bounding box. So like I said, maybe you have it in the wrong place. It could also be that you didn't make it read-only, and it got overwritten by LW.

By the way, mine is in the root of my Documents and Settings\Username\ folder.

Edit: When I clear the scene and reload it or load another scene it doesn't work. I'll try to track down more info.

Edit 2: The Don's Dino scene works every time. It's only new scenes I've made that have the reload problem. Searching...

Edit 3: In the meantime, if you add this to your LWS file right after the FPS (near the top of the file) it will work even when reloading:

Plugin MasterHandler 1 .messiah:master
MESSIAH_MASTER
EndPlugin

For some reason LW is no longer looking at the lwmaster file, I think.
Fred

stooch
10-27-2005, 04:51 AM
so lightwave updater replaced the file or something? It worked fine until the update actually.

Mike RB
10-27-2005, 05:29 AM
Cool, im glad you're looking into this. Hopefully it will be as simple as a quick update to the .p part of messiah to append some extra info every time an lws is saved....

Mike

stooch
10-27-2005, 08:27 AM
yeah i hope this results in a nice little patch

Mike RB
11-15-2005, 06:50 AM
I finally got messiah and lw8.5(32) working nicely on xp64, but theres still no love on the renderfarm, still getting the black frames.....

Mike

DMack
11-15-2005, 09:07 AM
Mike,

I know you're not too keen on getting Point Oven Pro. I completely agree that if PMG sell messiah:animate as a plugin, and continue to do so, then it should work with the latest version of the sw that it plugs into. That all said, I cannot recommend Point Oven Pro stringly enough. I was hesitant to start with but am sooooo glad I bought it - NOT as a work around but as a seriously useful additional to the pipeline. It keeps everything soooo much simpler and far far less prone to issues. It's a joy to be able to concentrate on the real character stuff separately,with all the advantages of a super fast interactivity, simply burn the mdd's when you're satisfied and then see the LW file automatically update (as it uses the mdd files that have just been overwritten).

Don't mean to be too persistent on this - I've just found it works really really well for me - especially on large scenes.

David

Mike RB
11-16-2005, 12:24 AM
hey fred:, I found another issue with the LWmasters file, I sent it to techsupport with this subject: BUG report: messiah corrupting LW particle FX

Mike

fwtep
11-16-2005, 05:38 AM
Thanks Mike!

Julez4001
11-16-2005, 04:57 PM
Just subscribing to the thread so I can follow this.

CGTalk Moderation
11-16-2005, 04:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.