PDA

View Full Version : FAT32 or NTFS ?

TiGER
02-26-2002, 05:44 AM
FAT32 or NTFS?
which is best for cg work?

Chris
02-26-2002, 06:33 AM
NTFS is a better file system (in general, nothing to do with whether its CG or not) as long as you are aware that you cant easily read NTFS disks in a Win98 or ME operating system (ie if you are dual booting). It is faster, uses the disk more economically & has built in file compression & security.

clifford
02-26-2002, 03:16 PM
NTFS is better for space saving and security.
But the problem I see with NTFS is that it is really hard to defragment. To have a well defragmented disk, you have to install a background defrag task (live Diskeeper's Set it and Forget it). One task to add, some CPU to lose.

FAT32 is better for defragmentation. FAT32 disk can be perfectly defragmented in one pass. So, if you want to use big files, I think it's better to choose FAT32 (the space loss on big files is small)

I choose FAT32 because I don't need security on my disks (personal computer) and I defragment it frequently.

Hope this will help !
Cheers :)

squash
02-28-2002, 02:44 AM
I disagree that FAT32 is better due to defragmenting

NTFS in Win2k and WinXP now has a defrag tool built in (right click on my computer and select manage)

not only that, NTFS will fragment alot less, its designed to not fragment and not only that is much more space economical for large drives, the cluster size is much more configurable..

I highly recommend using NTFS unless of course you need to boot into Win9x and access the drive.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.