PDA

View Full Version : post production for rendering

Tomasz79
10-25-2005, 12:52 PM
Hi. If you use Photoshop for post production of a 3d rendering, what tools/procedure of work do you usually use? Of course it will depend on effect you desire and type of rendering you have, but... Lets say I want to acchive less computer-like, less artifical look and more integrated, atractive, profesional look.

One think I know that integrates picture and helps a bit with realism is as follows:

Copy image to new layer
add difusse glow filter on top, with parameters as to add quite vissible glow with little grain, but not too much of both (say, parameters 4, 4, and 8 in cs2)
set transparency of this new filtered layer to 40 - 50
this will probably result in less contrasted and lighter image, so last thing I do is rise contrast and lower brightness of the orginal first layer

All together it adds subtle glow to lighter areas, and sort of melts objects together colourwise (very subtle) so it looks a bit less like separated objects put together in a scene and more like an integrated whole. Any tips and strategies you use, guys?

here is example, before and after (this work was suposed to be over exposed with light):

berniebernie
10-25-2005, 01:51 PM
Adding film grain is also a much used postprod effect: richard rosenman (XSI god, btw) wrote nice PS plugins, including a grain/noise one: http://www.richardrosenman.com/photoshop.htm

Alternatively, use Jose Oli's method (painting god, btw): http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3109&page= (the second page features his grain tip)

Though if you use grain in postprod, make sure it's not too visible and doesn't feel like tv-static on top of your image/animation

scrimski
10-25-2005, 03:11 PM
Do not apply Grain to the whole picture but to the Green and Blue channel(Blue more than Green). Do not use Brightness/COntrats, use Levels or Curves.

CGTalk Moderation
10-25-2005, 03:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.