PDA

View Full Version : 3d image to "matte painted" look with Photoshop?

ANGEL_OF_WAR
10-25-2005, 06:54 AM
Is it possible?

I'm using an older version of Corel Photopaint and I can get something sort of close to wat I'm looking for, but I figure Photoshop, as much as it's used, is likely able to do much better.

As the title says, I'm looking to turn 3D images (like landscapes and buildings and such) into something with more of a matte painted look. Not "cartoony" but nicely painted.

Can it happen?

TheNeverman
10-26-2005, 12:07 AM
anything is possible...

accomplishing what you want is gonna come down to two things though...
1. your artistic ability
2. your knowledge of the software

I have to ask 'why' you'd want to though... what is it your trying to accomplish?

kraal
10-26-2005, 05:30 AM
i have to say that matte painting is 95% artistic talent.... dylan cole uses just the chalk brush to do what he does..... it isnt photoshop.

kraal
10-26-2005, 05:40 AM
double post

ANGEL_OF_WAR
10-26-2005, 06:48 AM
I'm using Lightwave and Vue Infinite. For Lightwave you have different shaders to make a 3D image look like a cel-shaded movie frame. Vue Infinite can do some amazing landscapes, but I'd like more of a painterly look to them. Unlike most major 3D apps however, Vue doesn't have any real shaders that can create a non-photo-real render. There are ways you can do some but in my opinion they don't look that great.

roguenroll
10-26-2005, 05:13 PM
photoshop has a ton of filters, I've used them in some mattes to tone down the real, and get more brushstroke, so "YES".

:)

CGTalk Moderation
10-26-2005, 05:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.