PDA

View Full Version : Environment. Refinery building.

Simon
10-24-2005, 07:08 PM
Current update:

http://www.machinestudios.co.uk/hosted/renderscene_night0001.jpg

Heres my first ever game environment. I'm working to the 5000 poly mark (in quads so probably double that later on).

Im going to texture this, but I'm not sure how to break it down yet. Im thinking 4 maps. 2048*2048 for the main building. 2048*2048 for the floor (and surrounds). 1024 for the funnel. Then 512 for the barrels?

All feedback is appareciated!

http://www.machinestudios.co.uk/hosted/gamelevel0001.jpg

http://www.machinestudios.co.uk/hosted/gamelevel0001_wire.jpg

Cheers

Si

Simon
10-25-2005, 01:18 AM
I've started to do some textures. Starting with the parts that probably wont need adjustments.

Heres the funnel thing

http://www.machinestudios.co.uk/hosted/funel0001.jpg

Edit:

I'm doing this as a portfolio piece as I havn't done any game work that would really apply to current engines such as the unreal2/3 or source. Hopefully I will be able to get some better work with it.

Cheers

Simon

rblitz7
10-25-2005, 01:53 AM
Great work man! Keep it up!:thumbsup:

Thr35h0ld
10-25-2005, 04:39 AM
Like what you've got going on...
Just had one critical thought: looking a little photoshoppy on the maps.
Are you working from photo reference, or have you considered actually slicing up and reusing real photos?

Simon
10-25-2005, 04:02 PM
thanks for the comments guys

I've worked on the textures a bit.

Started on the ground, and have added more detail to the funnel. I'm pretty desperate for any c&c if anyone has any pointers.

Link to high res pic (http://www.machinestudios.co.uk/hosted/refinery_big.JPG)

http://www.machinestudios.co.uk/hosted/refinery_small.jpg

Cheers

Simon

SHEPEIRO
10-25-2005, 04:22 PM
ground textures great, barrel texture looks good, top of chimmmeny looks really cool, but the base dosnty llok very good. i would remove those lines and stains, at the moment they look out of place, or random. maybe break the base up into big blocks of concrete, not like bricks like sections, with oil/sludge stains comming from the cracks between.

Striff
10-25-2005, 06:10 PM
Hey man, I really like the modeling and texturing. What is the lighting setup your using right now to render?

finchy
10-25-2005, 06:13 PM
Love the style of this piece! looks nice! textures are good, great mood. Would fit into a game no problem! can't wait to see it finished.. Finchy :)

Simon
10-25-2005, 11:27 PM
What is the lighting setup your using right now to render?

Lightwave and fprime. Basicly radiosity and a luminous white dome. Then a nice yellow area light to add the yellow specular tinge.

Are you working from photo reference, or have you considered actually slicing up and reusing real photos?

I started off working from my mind but I've noticed it really doesn't work too well so I have google open for reference. Idont want to chop photos, as If I got a job where I actually HAD to paint the textures I worry I'd be out of practice.

maybe break the base up into big blocks of concrete, not like bricks like sections, with oil/sludge stains comming from the cracks between.

Exacty what i'm going to do next. Seems more logical too.

Thanks guys I appreciate all inputs

ps finch your site isnt working

Simon
10-26-2005, 02:52 AM
Going to bed now. I've made some major changes. Got thrown off by a visit from my girlfriend, in which who I explained (or tried to) the concept of 3d modeling and rendering to. grr!

http://www.machinestudios.co.uk/hosted/refinery_small2.jpg

Sorry about the bad render I rushed it so the yellow light got messed up and screwed the scenes colours.

I also notice geomentry is dissapearing from my main building. WTF!? I think my compter is haunted!

Si

Wayne Adams
10-26-2005, 02:11 PM
Dude, I've been trying to explain how it works to my wife for 6 years. :) Anyway. That new patch work on the large containment area doesn't work as nicelyu as what you had going on before. The asphalt is turning out quite nice. When are you gonna do stairs and step ladders?

Nice design and layout. For some reason it makes me think of Syphon Filter and Metal Gear Solid. Keep it up.

bricevdm
10-26-2005, 03:19 PM
Hi,
this is looking good, but I think you should reconsider you polycount and map size if you wish to make it a piece of a game oriented portfolio. 2048 maps are WAY too big, even for nextGen consoles. 512 would be great I think, lower even better (on ps2 I use to produce 128 maps with 4 bits depth, 16 colors). As for your polycount, they are many useless quads over there. You use GI for your render, but you have to make a choice. In game you use vertex lighting or maps. I you use vertex ligting then high polycount is not a problem, but you have to use it wisely. On the oposite if you use light maps or directly render to textures you could lower a lot the overall polycount.

onelung
10-26-2005, 03:59 PM
i wouldn't be too afraid of using phototextures for your building, lloks like your using some for your ground anyway. If anyhign, texture overlays will really help ontop of your painted work. I agree, about the paneling for the cylinder, maybe try and go with a huge rusted plate metal patchin, but keep with the round motif, rivits, welding creases, etc. Using photo's for your base is a proper way to start out textures on a photorealistic enviroment, atleast for quickness sake. Anyway i would start roughing out a few more pieces, instead of being stuck on it, and hopefully with fleashing it out, you will notice what needs to be changed. rock on.
-schu

Stonepilot
11-01-2005, 06:26 AM
I think the modeling is good. I think the texturing needs some love.

-I don't think that the hand painted textures are workin on the main tower. They look like hand painted textures. If you have access to photos of metal use that. My opinion on hand painted textures is why spend hours trying to make something look like metal when you have a picture of metal already.

-I think that the scale on the piece is all screwed. Think of it this way. In real life how big would the cracks on the concrete be copare to the main tower. Or how big would the lines between the panel be compare the the tower.

- Some of us aren't good enough to hand paint textures its just a fact. I can't do it. Why try.
-Use pictures, that's what they're for. In the job you'll be given photos to textures. there's just so much happening in photos that you'll never be able to paint it.

It sounds like you're trying to put a portfolio together. Your modeling is not bad. Texturing at this point is your weakest.

work on your scale. work on your textures. That's just my opinion. Good luck.

Simon
11-01-2005, 07:47 AM
Hi thanks.

Ive been quiet abount the model for about a week now. But I've finnally finnished the things like ladders and railings.

The model still looks very empty. Should I put in some crates, or maybe build a forklift?

the textures I Have stared to use photo reference for. I've found ways to clone my textures much like I did on the ground to get a good effect. I'll repost tonight.

Cheers for all the help. :D

I'll get working again!

Simon

11-01-2005, 09:14 AM
It seems to me like you have many wasted polies on the pipes and your roundings could be lesser smoother too, or was this done on purpose?

Nice building tho, i liked more the first way of your textures.

Psionic Design
11-01-2005, 12:16 PM
Coming along very nicely, I agree the textures/panels on the large container are a bit too prominent maybe?? Look forward to seeing some more updates...

Simon
11-01-2005, 04:41 PM
It seems to me like you have many wasted polies on the pipes and your roundings could be lesser smoother too, or was this done on purpose?

Nice building tho, I liked more the first way of your textures.

I unsure about them too. Although its easy to work at a high level then scale down and clean up after rather then start low and try to add more detail.

Update in a few hours. :D

Simon
11-01-2005, 07:53 PM
Just tried rendering. the texture looks a bit crap. :sad:

Up close it looks really good though.

I decided on some crates, but again at this distance I get no detail what so ever.

http://www.machinestudios.co.uk/hosted/refinery_small_4.jpg

Oh yeah the pipes now have an eigth of the polys. :D

Edit: by the way *I had a scrash and got put back 3 hours of work... and I've just realised that all the colours were out. eg the difference in tones between stuff.

Simon
11-01-2005, 08:27 PM
http://www.machinestudios.co.uk/hosted/upclose0001.jpg

Im gonna start posting screens from photo and z-brush as these renders arnt doing the textures any favors.. and i left the contrast too high on the funnel again. :(

Simon
11-05-2005, 02:09 AM
Just started filling out the main building.

I have some scale issues. Either Ill make the ladders bigger or the textures and railings smaller. Not decided yet.

<graphic removed to save bandwidth>

Simon
11-14-2005, 04:58 PM
Heres a little image of my new lighting set up. :D

http://www.machinestudios.co.uk/hosted/renderscene_night0001.jpg

Crit welcome

Simo

itsallgoode9
11-14-2005, 06:30 PM
Hi,
this is looking good, but I think you should reconsider you polycount and map size if you wish to make it a piece of a game oriented portfolio. 2048 maps are WAY too big, even for nextGen consoles. 512 would be great I think, lower even better (on ps2 I use to produce 128 maps with 4 bits depth, 16 colors). As for your polycount, they are many useless quads over there. You use GI for your render, but you have to make a choice. In game you use vertex lighting or maps. I you use vertex ligting then high polycount is not a problem, but you have to use it wisely. On the oposite if you use light maps or directly render to textures you could lower a lot the overall polycount.

sorry, but I disagree with your comments about the map size being to big. The game i'm working on for next gen right now has mostly 1024 and 2048 in it. The amount of maps and sizes you are using right now is fine for the size of what you are making. I made a section of a bridge (just a small section of the bridge so that you could tile it and make the bridge a custom length) and that one section had a 2048 and two 1024 maps... the size you are using is definitly within reason. Granted this all will depend on the type of game you are doing and the engine you are using, but I think you're sizes are fine. You don't wanna be throwing the 2048 maps around like crazy, but they seem to be fine to use in your case.
One thing you need definitly need to change is the scale of that asphalt texture...it is obviously at the wrong scale and it is making everything else look off.

As for your polycount, they are many useless quads over there. You use GI for your render, but you have to make a choice. In game you use vertex lighting or maps. I you use vertex ligting then high polycount is not a problem, but you have to use it wisely. On the oposite if you use light maps or directly render to textures you could lower a lot the overall polycount.
I agree that there are quite a few polys that are kinda pointless in there, but 10,000 tris, is not nessesarily high poly for a next gen. I just made a 3,000 tri machine gun that goes on top of a 10,000 tri HUMVEE..just for some comparison

You use GI for your render, but you have to make a choice. In game you use vertex lighting or maps. I you use vertex ligting then high polycount is not a problem, but you have to use it wisely. On the oposite if you use light maps or directly render to textures you could lower a lot the overall polycount.

or you could use realtime lighting :rolleyes: i'm sorry man, your info seems to be a little off the mark for next gen stuff.

EMP
11-14-2005, 06:41 PM
damn this is an nice cine!

i wish to know how i can make a nightcine like that to

Simon
11-14-2005, 06:42 PM
A bigger pic, whit a few changes for you guys getting eye strain.

http://www.machinestudios.co.uk/hosted/renderscene_night00012.jpg

Justin: Thanks for that. I'd lowered the maps down to 1024 and 512 maps. But I might work it right back up.

What is it theats making the asphalt look too big? The size of the cracks? or the size of the grain I painted?

Cheers

Simon

Simon
11-14-2005, 06:52 PM
damn this is an nice cine!

i wish to know how i can make a nightcine like that to

When I get good myself I'll write a tutorial. But I'm not that good.

eMPeck
11-14-2005, 08:21 PM
The size of the cracks? or the size of the grain I painted?

/me guess both. But more cracks I think

But looks nice :)

-m

Simon
11-16-2005, 05:33 PM
hehe thanks.

More cracks!

Sorry its small and grainy. I cant be bothered waiting for the render times. I'm saving for a new duel core processor. But thats a long way off.

http://www.machinestudios.co.uk/hosted/update_night0001.jpg

Simo

softdistortion
12-22-2005, 02:25 AM
It looks like you have an eye for color and the lights are nice, but your texture scales and even some of the model scales are not correct. Get yourself some reference shots to look at.

Here are a few observations>
The cement blocks in your wall are around 12"x8" and that wall is about 6' tall judging by your barrels (50 gal barrels are around 33" tall)...that would make it about 9 blocks as opposed to the 4 you have. Also the block joints are much too big and too dark (I'd suggest you forget about blocks and do a solid cement wall texture).

The pavement cracks are also too big, as is the steel diamond plate on the top level.

Your lights also look to be right at head level. :banghead:

Having different sized barrels that are textured the same is also not helping scale.

I attached an image with a pavement crack ref that are roughly scaled to fit the size I think you need to shoot for and also a block refrence image to help if you decide to stick with blocks. :thumbsup:

Simon
12-22-2005, 02:38 AM
hey thanks for ressurecting the thread! I thought it was long dead.

I noticed the diamonds are wwaaay too big.

The concrete texture I may just go for. It seems a whole lot easier. Thanks for the advice on the blocks too!

I'll sort the lights out. :banghead: ouch

Cheers

Simon

deaderthanred
12-26-2005, 11:08 PM
looking very nice! :) i like how you have used lights to cast shadows that draw the eye towards the central object in the scene

just a suggestion to add: i wonder if it would help portray a sense of scale if you made the shadows furthest from the lightsources a tiny bit more diffused, since light is bouncing off the ground abit (currently it looks to me like a lit miniature building, based on the sharp long shadows)
keep up the good work!:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
12-26-2005, 11:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.