PDA

View Full Version : How can i preserve my Layer Styles and Settings

rv-el
10-24-2005, 06:42 AM
Hi, I was wondering if somebody could please tell me how to keep all the style and settings applied to a layer. An example is i have a black and white drawing over the top of another layer. I set it to Multiply and lowered the opacity. How can i merge it down to the color layer below it and have it look the same?

I've also recently had a problem with a layer having a drop shadow, and i merge it down and it sort of looses its "multiply" effect and become a brighter color.

I dont know if i've hit a shortcut on accident or not. Any help is very appriciated. thank you

Anomaleye
10-24-2005, 12:34 PM
umm, if you are merging it with another translucent layer and the layer style effects are "overlaying" a transparent part of the layer, photoshop cant preserve those setting, its like trying to add more than one blending mode to a single layer... you could right click on the layer style and go "create layers" or set drop shadow and inner shadow and whatever other styles you have applied to Normal/multiply/screen blending modes since they are less difficult when coming to merging like that etc... for your drop shadows, just set it to Normal instead of Multiply and change the color to black then lower the opacity, you will get te same effect.

on the other hand, if the underlaying layer is fully opaque, you can simply link and merge or flatten the image.

rv-el
10-25-2005, 08:15 AM
Thanks.. I hope this helps explain the merging down thing i was talking about. I'm not trying to keep the layer style applied to the layer after it is merged, but rather have it create a single rasterized layer of a combination of the both.. where it looks exactly like it does with out merging it.

http://www.pseudo-pod.com/temp/mergedown.jpg

Other work arounds include stuff like, hiding all the OTHER layers, then saving out a 32 bit TGA.. then bringing that back in, but thats just a pain in the ass.

CGTalk Moderation
10-25-2005, 08:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.