PDA

View Full Version : Uv Layout For Games

McG
10-24-2005, 12:17 AM
Hi there, im looking for a thread that showed the technique of laying out UV for game textures.
I remember seeing it a while ago, and i think it showed a yellow taxi being used as an example.

Also, if you know of any links to tutorials or info on how to layout Uv's for game textures,
much appreciated.

Thanks

Martin

Por@szek
10-24-2005, 06:20 AM
http://www.poopinmymouth.com/ check this out. The tutorial part with videos will be the most usefull for ya.

McG
10-24-2005, 04:41 PM
thanks, i think you need to subscribe.

I was looking for info on how to layout the UVs for best optimising texture space.

you see it in examples of game character texture maps when only half of the texture is completed.
Im guessing that since the character symmetric you only need to texture half and mirror it.

Can anyone give me a run through of how to mirror the UV map of a character.

By the way im using maya.
Thanks
Martin

Por@szek
10-25-2005, 07:24 AM
Unfortunately I cannot help u in maya. Its not my software. In max , I'm using, under unwarp u must select the vertex and just mirror them. Under maya I have no idea.

Cheers

Snefer
10-25-2005, 07:31 AM
I'm not very experienced at using maya or making UV's... but can't you just make the UV for halv the character, sen mirror it. Then you simply select the UV's on one side and move them om the UV map, and there you have it?

HellBoy
10-25-2005, 08:57 AM
quick question from me:

In max, before you mirror the mesh, can you unwrap then and apply the texture then mirror, is that good, I haven't tried it but the previous app I used to work fine (Truespace that is)

Hatred
10-25-2005, 09:52 AM
You can unwrap half of the model, then mirror thew other side and marge edges, the UV will remind the same, if U have more than one simular object, just unwrap one and transfer uv set to others :), about layouting... the best layout machine is You! just move them as puzzles to find best way to use how so much space You can

satanatron
10-25-2005, 11:24 AM
MWarsame just use the symetry modifier...then when you collapse to editable poly ...both sides are done.

DeadBoy
10-26-2005, 04:19 PM
I'm a maya user myself, and mirroring UVs is quite simple; UV map the one half of the character, delete the unmapped half, then mirror- you won't have to move any UVs, as mirroring will automatically put the UV's on top of each other. Just make sure when translateing them/scaling them to fit your 0-1 space you select both. I usually select one UV (the other is right beneath it), and right click --> TO SHELL. that selects all of them and you can move from there.

Word of warning, though- mirroring is dangerous for several reasons- for one, your character will be exactly symmetrical (DUH:) ). That means all scars, details, etc will be identical, which is not so good on a reel- every character these days has some differences from one side to the other, and its easy to tell when you've mirrored as a shortcut to save texture space and shorten your work time. Also, mirroring UVs makes it impossible to normal map, or in maya, it even creates probs doing a spec. The UVs are reversed, so it won't read the map the right way.

Hope this helped...

DigiLusionist
10-26-2005, 05:28 PM
UV Mapping needs more cowbell.

retardedmonkey
10-26-2005, 07:26 PM
I have a question:
Satanatron I dont do much characters, mostly vehicles and I use symetry with most of them but the problem with it is, the seam that it leaves. What would be the best way to do it for a vehicle then? What I useually do is it with symetry and then before I unwrap it I collapse the symetry modifier and target weld the seam over. Then I unwrap it, and it does become pretty large, so having only half would be much better. How would be the best way to do it? And also if anyone has low poly vehicle uv map that they could post I would appreciate it. Because I have major probs with proportions and need an example. Thanks in advance

McG
10-27-2005, 11:55 AM
Thanks DeadBoy, thats great. I had and idea of doing it that way, but thought that there must be problems with bump and normal maps being applied to this.

So these games textures sheets for characters that you see, where only half of the face is mapped out, im guessing that no bump of normal maps will be appiled.
Just one more point. Has anyone bought the gnomon workshop dvd on uv mapping for games?
Is it any good?

Thanks folks

Hatred
10-27-2005, 01:34 PM
U can paint diffuse on UV set with mirrored UV, than bake normal/light maps on different UV set that has no mirrored UV

DeadBoy
10-27-2005, 04:19 PM
So these games textures sheets for characters that you see, where only half of the face is mapped out, im guessing that no bump of normal maps will be appiled.
Just one more point. Has anyone bought the gnomon workshop dvd on uv mapping for games?
Is it any good?

Exactly:thumbsup: . They are still used for lots of extreme lowpoly stuff, but now that ZBrush has entered the industry, there's less you have to fake with texture and more you can fake with normal mapping. My suggestion is to learn both, but understand how to use full-body 1024's. (PS, I hear the new Unreal handles 2048).

As for Gnomon, their DVDs are all good. But is UV Mapping worth paying $50 for? Probably not. UV mapping is an easy thing to do once you understand the principles, and there are tons of tutorials online for it. if you havent bookmarked it already check out www.learning-maya.com (http://www.learning-maya.com/).

And pick up some cowbell while you're there.

Good Luck!

Zergxes2
10-28-2005, 12:45 PM
If proportions is a problem with your mapping, then put a checker texture on your model and scale the different parts of your uv map to match the checker size across the whole map. Character mapping and vehicle mapping are based on the same principles. Go to www.polycount.com (http://www.polycount.com) if you want to see some unwraped low poly meshes. Heck there is a great one of a me-109 on this very forum.

If you want to get rid of seams you can use the clone tool in Photoshop or since you are using Maya, use the 3d paint tool: Rendering subset, Texturing > 3d paint tool. Click on assign/edit textures, activate "extend seam color" and use the clone tool to paint out your edge. You have to hit the set clone source button and then just paint. Really fast. Make sure to hit the "Save Textures" button from time to time. Maya dumps the file into the 3d textures folder in your project and after using the clone tool it puts funky pixels into the dead space of the texture. This works best for meshes that are one piece.

McG
10-28-2005, 02:42 PM
thanks guys, really helpful.

im off to get me a cowbell, by the way who is that guy hitting the cowbell.
Theres just not enough cowbellers in the UK.

CGTalk Moderation
10-28-2005, 02:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.