PDA

View Full Version : Mental Ray render duration

RaGzMaN
10-23-2005, 11:41 AM
How does one get an output of how long a render takes in Mental Ray?

DJ_
10-23-2005, 05:21 PM
I guess you are not using maya 7...

Render globals > mental ray > Translation > at least "info messages"
Then look in the output window for:
RC 0.2 info : wallclock 0:00:01.15 for rendering

RaGzMaN
10-23-2005, 05:26 PM
Maya 7, correct.

I tried that before but for some reason all i get is this.

sphere -p 0 0 0 -ax 0 1 0 -ssw 0 -esw 360 -r 1 -d 3 -ut 0 -tol 0.01 -s 8 -nsp 4 -ch 1;objectMoveCommand;

// Info: (mental ray) : loading startup file: C:/Program Files/Alias/Maya7.0/mentalray/maya.rayrc

// Info: (mental ray) : number of render thread(s): 2

// Info: (Mayatomr.Scene) : shadows obey light linking requires full shadow tracing, optimize raytrace shadows ignored

// Info: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : derive mental ray global approximation settings from Maya

// Info: (Mayatomr.Nodes) : derive mental ray global displacement settings from Maya

// Info: (Mayatomr.Scene) : update lights and related shaders

// Info: (Mayatomr.Scene) : update cameras and related shaders

// Info: (Mayatomr.Scene) : saving image to file C:/Documents and Settings/Ashley Bernes/My Documents/maya/projects/default/images/tmp/untitled.iff

// Info: (Mayatomr.Scene) : update geometry and materials

// Info: (Mayatomr.Scene) : render camera: persp

DJ_
10-23-2005, 05:36 PM
Maya 7 shows the render time in the actual render scene window.

This looks like the script editor, not the output window.

RaGzMaN
10-23-2005, 05:40 PM
ahhh there we go, if you close that by mistake, is there a way of getting it back up without restarting maya>?

yep, thats done the trip, cheers

cpan
10-23-2005, 06:23 PM
ahhh there we go, if you close that by mistake, is there a way of getting it back up without restarting maya>?

try typing trace ("Muhaha!") in the comand line to popup that... it might work :)

doms
10-24-2005, 01:27 PM
I Wish there was some way of calculating (not guessing) how long a render (single frame) was going to take. For the last couple of days i've had to cancel renders because they haven't been finished by morning. Maybe they only had another 5 mins to go- very anoying!!

sporadic
10-24-2005, 02:10 PM
doms:

Set your informativity up higher and it'll give you percentages complete in number of tiles. Alternatively, use imf_disp to show the image as it is currently.

Either of these will give you the information as to how complete the image is.

doms
10-24-2005, 03:23 PM
informativity (thats my new word for the day), thanx for the reply. I usually turn off translation to speed up the render, do you think this makes much difference and do i need 'detailed progress' level of blurb? Also imf_disp? will this chew up loads of ram if i'm rendering a 8000x6000 frame? (actually i could just try it, i'm being lazy). Thankz again...

RaGzMaN
10-24-2005, 05:35 PM
sporadic, can you give some examples on how to use those. Is it a menu somewhere or a command to execute?

sporadic
10-24-2005, 05:38 PM
I've never found the detail level to have much effect on render speed with large renders, though I'm told it can with network rendering, I've never seen it, at least not a lot. With small renders (the ones that take a few seconds) it can have an effect, but with those, who really cares? ;)

imf_disp is a command line application that creates a view window much like Maya's render view so you can see what the render looks like at the current time. It does take up RAM, and some processor time, since it talks to MR to get the rendered frame. It's very nice to check progress though. Watching frames render can give a really good sense about what in the scene is taking the time, which can be helpful when fine tuning shaders and the like. I don't know how efficient it is with big renders, though.

Hope this helps.

RaGzMaN
10-24-2005, 05:45 PM
Hi there,

how do you run it?

i tried executing it with the mental ray renderer active;

imf_disp;

// Error: Cannot find procedure "imf_disp". //

sporadic
10-24-2005, 05:46 PM
Sure. For getting logging information, there is an attribute in the MR render globals under Translation for Export Verbosity. Set this higher to give more information.

I've already covered imf_disp. Read up in the Maya help. It's a really useful little application.

sporadic
10-25-2005, 05:23 PM
Whoops, sorry. It's not a Maya function. It's on the command line in the OS. In Windows, it should have been added to your system path. On other OS's, I don't know if it's available, or where it's located.

AFAIK, there's no way to get the image directly in Maya, but I could easily be wrong.

CGTalk Moderation
10-25-2005, 05:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.