PDA

View Full Version : Can corel painter scripts be coverted?

Gord-MacDonald
10-23-2005, 12:17 AM
Hi all

Can corel painter scripts be coverted to flash, or movie formats?

Gord

Jinbrown
10-23-2005, 07:17 AM
Hi,

Painter's Scripts can be played back into a Framestack, then the Framestack can be saved using one of the followng options:

Save current frame as image
Save movie as AVI
Save movie as QuickTime
Save movie as numbered files
Save movie as GIF animation

Assuming you own Painter IX, read how to do this in the User Guide or in Painter IX Help > Help Topics, chapter named Animation and Video. You'll find the information in previous Painter versions' User Guides or Help > Help Topics using similar terminology.

Gord-MacDonald
10-23-2005, 04:21 PM
Thanks !!!

Gord

Gord-MacDonald
10-23-2005, 09:17 PM
Hi

I was wanting to script a painting, and then have the output of the script saved to a format which could be displayed on the web.- flash, mov, avi etc. Seems from the help file excerpt below, that import of a script creating an image from scratch may not be possible. I have tested Camstudio capturing a script, but with not entirely satisfactory results.

Are these any export options for scripts, or other workarounds, which might enable me to get a script into a video format without using screencapture tools?

Thanks!
Gord

/***************************from Corel 9 help ************************/

To apply a script to a movie

Open the movie to which you want to apply the script.

Choose Movie menu > Apply Script to Movie.

In the Apply Script to Movie dialog box, double-click a script.

Corel Painter applies that script to each frame in the stack. If you have few small frames in your movie, and the script is not a complicated one, the script can be applied quickly. If the movie has several large frames, a complicated script could take a long time.

mk:@MSITStore:C:Program%20FilesCorelCorel%20Painter%20IXHelpPainterHlp.chm::/images/tip.gif

You can apply only scripts that do not create new images.

/****************************************************************/

Jinbrown
10-23-2005, 11:08 PM
Gord,

Do you want to apply a previously recorded script to an existing movie?

Or, do you want to record a script while you're doing a painting, then turn that script into a movie?

If you want to do the latter, it's done the way I explained in my previous message (with some added steps that you'll find explained in the User Guide or Help > Help Topics. I pointed you to a chapter that should be read for more complex ways of using Painter scripts with movie making. The chapter that explains how to record a script, then play it back as a Framestake which can then be saved as a QuickTime or AVI movie is the one on Scripting.

Really, those two chapters go together but read the Scripting chapter and I think it'll help you do what you want.

Matter of fact, Painter automatically records a script of everything we do in a Painter session. That's not what you would want, but to see what one of these scripts looks like, launch Painter, go to the Scripts palette, choose the script with the date and time you last used Painter, chen click the Play button. Providing everything's available for Painter to find, it should run OK. (Painter needs to have all brush libraries and art materials libraries loaded that you used when that script was recorded. Otherwise, Painter won't be able to find things and it may cause the script to stop.

Gord-MacDonald
10-24-2005, 12:43 AM
JinBrown

Thanks for following up! Some cool insights in your post - about Painter recording everything in a painter session.
I will get my nose back in those help files and get this thing working. Thanks again for your time!

Gord

Gord-MacDonald
10-24-2005, 03:46 AM
Got IT!

In Painter 9 Help:

Getting the script into the movie/framestack was under:
scripts->Working with Scripts and Movies.

part 2 was under:
Animation and Video->Saving and Exporting Movies

Thanks for the help!

Gord

DigArts
10-27-2005, 05:48 PM
I was wanting to script a painting, and then have the output of the script saved to a format which could be displayed on the web.- flash, mov, avi etc.

Gord

I wouldn't worry about framestacks as such. What you want to do should be relatively easy in my experience. Here's a simple QT example (http://www.gardenhose.com/treeanimation.htm).

If I understand you correctly, what you need are the frames from which the movie or flash animation will be made. Simple.

1) Select the "Save Frames on Playback" in the Script Options window and choose the record interval you want. (The record interval isn't very precise, but shorter is better in my experience).

2) Record the painting session.

3) Save the recorded script when you're done.

4) Playback the script. Painter will automatically create a movie file (framestack). Choose the bit depth, etc.

5) Once the script renders the painting as frames, use Save As command and choose your poison. You can save the frames as separate numbered files (maybe best for Flash) or work from AVI, QT or GIF. The separate files can eliminate the need for movie editing software.

No need to bother with the saved file (framestack), as the script is a much smaller version of it. The biggest problem I've encountered over the years has been record/playback in terms of total number of frames created (usually not enough). So for very smooth movies you may want to look at a screen capture application.

Then again, you might find ImageReady or Dogwaffle offer good screen capture alternatives as you could use their "tween" functions to smooth the transitions between the saved Painter frames, thereby compensating for the frames deficit and smoothing the flow.

Good luck,
DigArts
http://www.gardenhose.com (http://www.gardenhose.com/)

Gord-MacDonald
10-27-2005, 08:11 PM
DigArts

Thanks for the insights! - I'll try the method you have suggested.
Gord

CGTalk Moderation
10-27-2005, 08:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.