PDA

View Full Version : steady free form lines

kraal
10-22-2005, 06:40 PM
is there a way to change tolerence of brush stroks to make them a little 'more' straighter and not shakey when drawing with wacom tablet in painter 9 ?

Jinbrown
10-23-2005, 06:04 AM
Hi kraal,

There's no specifically named "tolerance" setting in Painter related to how straight a brushstroke will be, but there are other ways to control it.

Four ways:

In the Brush Controls's Random palette, lower the Jitter slider as much as needed, or down to 0. This controls the degree to which dabs of paint are randomly painted off either side of the brushstroke's path.

To paint really straight lines click the V key at the beginning and ending points of the brushstroke. Click the V key again to begin a new brushstroke in a different location. To return to freehand painting, click the B key.

Use the Painter IX Align to Path feature. Read how in the User Guide or Painter Help > Help Topics.

Last but far from least: Practice to improve your ability to paint a brushstroke the way you want it to appear. I've heard it said by others, and experienced myself, that painting a brushstroke slowly and with movement coming from the wrist instead of from the elbow or shoulder can result in shakey lines.

Happy practicing! ;)

kraal
10-23-2005, 07:32 PM
actually i am fine with my strokes and i knew of the methods you mentioned. I am just starting to teach some younger children some art techniques and it would be nice if there was a tolerance for them

Jinbrown
10-23-2005, 07:59 PM
Hi kraal,

That must be fun, teaching kids. I've taught my grandaughter a little about using Painter (she began at 4 using Layers, Text, and painting all kinds of brushstrokes), and now at nine years old, she's giving me Painter tips! ;)

My advice would be to teach them just as you would someone older. Relax, paint from at least the elbow, and make the brushstrokes fearlessly... not slowly. If the brushstrokes aren't "perfect", who cares! Just try again.

Give them a lot of time just to practice brushstrokes, in all directions, straight, curvy, circles, spirals, anythng, and I'll bet you'll be surprised how quickly they catch on. Kids don't have their heads filled with so much "I can't do it well enough" thinking as we've learned by the time we're older.

If you can, turn on some music and let them paint to the sounds and rhythms.

Make it fun!

Have fun yourself, too.

frog
10-24-2005, 10:09 AM
Actually there is a setting that can help - in the Spacing section of the brush palette increase the Damping amount. It's a little more resource intensive though, but it does smooth out shaky lines.

Philippec
10-24-2005, 12:45 PM
is there a way to change tolerence of brush stroks to make them a little 'more' straighter and not shakey when drawing with wacom tablet in painter 9 ?

One thing I like to do when sketching is to rotate the canvas, much like you would rotate a real piece of paper on a table. The Rotate Page command has a customizable keyboard shortcut, "E".

I find that there is usually one direction when I can easily draw straight lines, so I just rotate the page in that direction...

kraal
10-25-2005, 02:02 PM
Jin --- yes it is fun its a church group ... i actually teach them on paper they just get to use my computer for fun.

CGTalk Moderation
10-25-2005, 02:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.