PDA

View Full Version : Workflow newbie question

McWolfe
10-22-2005, 01:11 PM
Hi

I am considering buying either Animate or Studio, since it does seem like a very nice program. But, before commiting to it, I have a couple of (fairly basic I'm afraid) questions.

How does the program fit into a production pipeline? Let's say I have modelled a character in Modo or Sile and mapped my uv's. Will the UV's follow with the exported object to Messiah? (I would assume it does, but I might as well ask). It seems like there is a material editor and renderer in Messiah (studio at least). Should I use that one, or is it better to just do the animation in messiah and then export it to a rendering software/complete 3d-package?

I have worked a little with MotionBuilder (which it seems is the major competition, even though they are not exactly the same), and it can be a bit of a hassle to get the motion back into maya. On the messiah website they mention something about connectivity. Exactly what does this mean? The ideal would be that you made your animations in messiah, and it was automatically updated in maya.

Well.. this wasn't the most well structured of thread-starters, but I hope you understand what I mean. If not I'll keep on asking :-)

McWolfe

shadowfork
10-22-2005, 06:21 PM
- yup, the UVs are kept as far as my tests go.

- Materials/Shaders in Messiah's good too. I would say work with what you're comforable with.

- I haven't tried the connection with Maya (the demo doesn't support version 7 yet). However I tried it with Lightwave and it updates real-time. No hassle whatsoever.

Give it a spin. There's a demo available on their website and you can plug it with maya if you have versions 4,5 or 6.

CGTalk Moderation
10-22-2005, 06:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.