PDA

View Full Version : unwrapping tiny details.

twindragon
10-21-2005, 05:04 PM
If you have an object with a ton of tiny details... like rivets, bolts, small wires or pipes all over the place would you actually unwrap them as you would unwrap everything else? I just thought that because they are small details that you don't have to be so maticulous(spelling?) with them.

TheNeverman
10-22-2005, 08:51 AM
what is the final output? film? game?
if film - how close will they be to the camera in the final shot? I find you can often cheat a bit on tiny stuff just slapping on a simple procedural (somewhat solid color) and maybe a slight bump...

if game - why model the tiny stuff when you could add it in the texture?

twindragon
10-22-2005, 09:34 AM
Thanks! It isnt really for film or game its for a demo reel but I want to showcase my best work so I was just wondering. So now I realized that thats a good way to do things seeings its not game thanks

TheNeverman
10-23-2005, 12:52 PM
The biggest thing to keep in mind (from a production standpoint anyways) is "what will be seen"...

you don't want to spend a bunch of time working on something that won't be perceptable in the final shot...

CGTalk Moderation
10-23-2005, 12:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.