PDA

View Full Version : What app to start micro renderfarm

zuraq
10-21-2005, 03:41 PM
I am aware of the net render klient, for c4d but if i want to conect lets say 4 computers, of my own to do a animation render job, like a paralel bridge, of prosessors, what application should i use, and where should i look for them to buy ?

If i need some special cabels or or other hardware, what should it be ?

I have heard macs is the best shoot for this kind of job, is there somthing about that ?

Is win xp up to the job or is there something smarter out there and i dont mean linux, because i still want to play lots of games.

Ph0n33z
10-21-2005, 04:00 PM
Greetings friend!

I just read a great article about building your own renderfarm(free mind u!) on
extremetech.com. It shows how you can take a bunch of old/abandoned pc's and network
them to create a killer farm! They managed a huge increase in rendering speed just from 7
old pcs!

Here is the link: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1847365,00.asp

Hope that helps somewhat!

Srek
10-21-2005, 05:05 PM
You don't need much. All systems need to have a working and configured network port (preferably 100 Base T ethernet) with TCP/IP running. You will only need standard Cat 5 patchcable to connect those machines with one cheap 100 BaseT Ethernet switch.
Since most systems come with an integrated Ethernet port you will only need to buy the cables and the switch, chances are that if you have a DSL internet connection your DSL router already includes a switch with a hand full of ports.
Cheers
Björn

zuraq
10-21-2005, 10:08 PM
Not a big problem then, i am examining prices on an app called qube, that could do the trick, as to the link to extremetech it is usefull, and i liked the part where 9 lowtec comps with 1-GHz beat 3 hightec 3-GHz systems in a render duel, but the article was a bit advanced for me, because im a complete newbee at server management and stuff.
Thanks for the posts and your time http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

jackb602
10-22-2005, 05:09 AM
There's no need to buy an external render farm app when you have Net Render. As far as choosing an OS, OS X does have better memory management and is less likely to crash on memory intensive jobs. But for the best price/performance ratio, you can't beat the AMD X2 chips at the moment.

Jack

zuraq
11-02-2005, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the post
You are right on the matter of net render, it is the esiest way to render, and it costs nothing, but this is not a matter of chosing the easyest way to do it, i like the challenge and the idea of my own little render farm, because i wish to learn more about paralel computing and render apps, it is allso importent for me to be as independent as possible.
The amd x2 chips is powerfull indeed the price is allso high, and cash is a matter for me as i am still studying, i will try to combine 4 low tech comps with the render app qube, and test the whole thing.

CGTalk Moderation
11-02-2005, 11:05 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.