PDA

View Full Version : Creating a realistic white

njack
10-21-2005, 12:37 PM
I've spent an age trying to recreate a good material or light setup that gives the appearance of white painted walls, i've looked at lots of different examples of work done in C4d and they all have a grey look to them. Im starting to belive this is the main reason that Vray interiors look more convincing, instead of going from blown out white to grey they have subtle colour changes.
Is ther something I am missing or is this just the way C4d works?

I'm sorry I cant post examples but I have never worked out how to post links:shrug:
There are lots of examples on the AR2.5 V the rest thread.

Thanks to any one with any answers.

wurp
10-21-2005, 01:36 PM
HSV colormapping, I think there is a plugin for c4d

it basically puts a log curve on the V value so that as a surface starts to burn out its scaled down towards 1, normally the V curve is linear but with the colormapping you make the curve flatten out as it goes towards a value of 1.0

You can also do this in shake, just render in a format that supports floating point and load it into shake and do a HSV lookup on it.

bobtronic
10-21-2005, 01:56 PM
yes, colormapping really helps to get rid off the blown out whites. it is native postfx of Cinema since R9.5.

njack
10-21-2005, 02:43 PM
Thanks ill give that a try.

Can you any suggest settings?

njack
10-24-2005, 10:11 AM
I have tried HSV colormapping and it does help a little but it also reduces the overall contrast of the scene.

It seems to me that C4d adds grey to any color giving the illusion of shadow, leaving any white walls looking gery:sad: .

Has any one produced an interior image where the white looks truly white?

Primitiv
10-24-2005, 10:54 AM
I sometimes add a small amount of luminance to the material so that it looks like it is reflecting more light and loses its grayish tones.

CGTalk Moderation
10-24-2005, 10:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.