PDA

View Full Version : Render Tree Question

DarkVegetable
10-20-2005, 02:12 PM
You guys must be getting sick of the "can you ....like you can in Maya?" questions. But here's another little one...when you select an image and view it on its own in the Render Tree can you see its connections (like you can view the upstream and downstream nodes in the Hypershade in that other package)? We (not just me!) can't find a way here, but otherwise why be able to isolate it in the Tree ??

Yours in ex-Mayaness

Dark Veg.

Felipe
10-20-2005, 02:22 PM
not sure if I understand your question.

In render tree, you'll see all nodes conected to the material from the object selected. You can have disconnected nodes while you are working on it, but as soon as you hit refresh or re-open the render tree, all disconnected nodes are gone. It keeps only the connected tree nodes in the material ports.
So, in Render Tree, is non sense have up and down stream since you always see every node related to the material you are editing.

Cheers,

Felipe

comanche
10-20-2005, 02:38 PM
You cannot connect nodes of two different materials. The "isolated" view of ONE material (of the selected object, group, partition etc.) is the only way.

DarkVegetable
10-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Well, what I want to do is see if an image is connected to more than one material. If they are italicised in the Explorer that means they are shared...but between which materials? What I'm worried about is getting a scene where the images have been assigned by someone else & i need to backtrack to find out what's going on.

Thanks for the superfast responses!

comanche
10-20-2005, 07:47 PM
Well, what I want to do is see if an image is connected to more than one material. If they are italicised in the Explorer that means they are shared...but between which materials? What I'm worried about is getting a scene where the images have been assigned by someone else & i need to backtrack to find out what's going on.

Thanks for the superfast responses!

Ah, ok, I see. That's what the Relational View "RV - Material and Texture Explorer" is for. Select an image in the explorer and see all the material, objects or clusters that use this texture. Or vise versa. Select an object and see which material, shader or texture is used by this object. Pretty usefull though.

DarkVegetable
10-21-2005, 10:46 AM
the Relational View "RV - Material and Texture Explorer"

This sounds exactly like what I'm looking for...but I can't seem to find it - do I have to define my own custom RV, or are there preset ones?

Thanks again.

bravmm
10-21-2005, 11:04 AM
In top bar go Application>Views>RV - Material and Texture Explorer

rob

Leonardo Vega
10-21-2005, 11:30 AM
Is there a way to "collapse" or "bucket" nodes? For example I'm mixing two surfaces (both phong) and they each have bunch of nodes connected to it... any way to group them up so that just the phong nodes appear? This is no biggy, but helps keep things clean.

Thanks!
Leo

Atyss
10-21-2005, 01:06 PM
comanche: actually YES!! You can connect nodes from different materials, but only through scripting. The problem though is maintaining such connections. Each time you'll change to make change between such interconnections, you will have to hand write it.

vegabros: No you can't do that.

Cheers
Bernard

DarkVegetable
10-21-2005, 01:33 PM
In top bar go Application>Views>RV - Material and Texture Explorer

rob

That's cool for 4.2, but what about 5.0? Where are all those RVs?

Splin
10-21-2005, 01:46 PM
Ah, ok, I see. That's what the Relational View "RV - Material and Texture Explorer" is for. Select an image in the explorer and see all the material, objects or clusters that use this texture. Or vise versa. Select an object and see which material, shader or texture is used by this object. Pretty usefull though.

Thank you comanche, for a long time I was thinking that only way to do it is via scripting. Now at last I have found out a useful usage for RV Explorer :thumbsup:

comanche
10-21-2005, 04:08 PM
That's cool for 4.2, but what about 5.0? Where are all those RVs?

Oooops, good question! Anyone?

Atyss
10-21-2005, 05:57 PM
The RVs are not labelled RV anymore. To make XSI more seamless they are treated as any other view. But they're still there (with the exception of the SDK Explorer, wich requires to install the SDK demo workgroup).

Cheers
Bernard

Felipe
10-21-2005, 06:14 PM
comanche: actually YES!! You can connect nodes from different materials, but only through scripting. The problem though is maintaining such connections. Each time you'll change to make change between such interconnections, you will have to hand write it.

I think it is possible to connect nodes from different materials using the share nodes. For instance, you can connect any branch of a material to the share color node input from another material using the new parameter connection editor or the expression editor.

Cheers,

Felipe

Atyss
10-21-2005, 11:18 PM
You can connect any node between materials.

Cheers
Bernard

comanche
10-21-2005, 11:48 PM
...To make XSI more seamless they are treated as any other view. But they're still there ...

Thanks, Bernard, so where is the Material and Texture Explorer?

Atyss
10-22-2005, 12:13 AM
It's called the material editor. Unless I'm missing something?

EDIT: I was indeed missing something. To have access to that view, you need to connect to the SDK workgroup. Go in File > Plugins Manager. Go to Workgroups tab. Click Connect, then click the SDK workgroup, click OK. Now the RV you're looking for is located into View > SDK Examples - and even has the RV label!

Cheers
Bernard

Spacelord
10-22-2005, 05:41 AM
I was wondering where all the RV editors went.
thanks

comanche
10-22-2005, 08:54 AM
Thanks, Bernard!

Cheers

comanche
10-23-2005, 04:05 PM
It's called the material editor. ....

Bernard, the new Material Editor is indeed able to show a list of objects that belong to the selected material!!! Thanks to Regend at xsiforum.de for that hint. Just click twice (no double click) on a materials thumbnail to bring up the thumbnails of all objects that belong to that material. They will show up in the area right below the material thumbnails.

DarkVegetable
10-24-2005, 01:28 PM
The RVs are not labelled RV anymore. To make XSI more seamless they are treated as any other view. But they're still there (with the exception of the SDK Explorer, wich requires to install the SDK demo workgroup).

Thanks...This is a cool feature - it shouldn't be harder to find, it should be easier!
and...it seems that in the transition to SDK it lost the selection filters in the explorer half of the view, although the shortcuts still change the selection type so you still can go both ways with it

Fedupguy
10-24-2005, 05:20 PM
There is a netview which lists which materials are shared with which objects.

CGTalk Moderation
10-24-2005, 05:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.