PDA

View Full Version : Head model: Combining all passes (color\spec\bump\sss)

Defonten
10-20-2005, 12:20 PM
Hi everyone,

I was asking this question in "Texturing & surfacing" division of cgtalk but was told that it's more possible to find answer here. So. I need some guides about compositing (either in Photoshop or in AfterEffects) all passes of human (male) Head model to achieve real natural look of skin besides using FG or GI. What are the basic directions for compositing such things? In which order do I have to place those passes in, say AE, and using which blending modes. Now, I have 4 passes:

1. Color pass
2. Specular pass
3. SSS pass (I used "fast sss skin" shader)
4. Bump pass

So how do I combine those rendered TGAs in any compositing program to have full control of them and have them look right especially with SSS layer. Thanx in advance!

MSB
10-21-2005, 07:51 PM
i red ur post there and if i'm not mistaked they said to you to post in composting section NOT photoshop section..whatever...

when i wan't to render and i don't wan't to wait what i do is i render zillions of passes --actually pass for each attribute (almost)--then i throw everything in photoshop and try to reach the best i can then i move the values to my 3d app --maya--...

about ur question..

since you've used the fast sss shader you don't need a pure colour pass. since its driven throw the fast_sss except if you did render it separtley..and the bump as well why did you render it separetly?
if i were you i'd setup up it this way (start from bottom)

specular <---- screen or add ...since they just britghten the things up.(sometimes duplice this layer and blur it abit help )
bump <----multiply ....since bump just alters the normals doing add (liner dodge) won't be good because its just gonna white the things up..
fast_sss <----normal since its the base

about the colour pass really i don't know where it fits since the colour it self will be generated from the 3 sss layers..if i were you i'd render each one of them separetlley.

read this thread
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=87610&highlight=reflection+baking

and try to discover the search botton...

and get Jermey Birn book....must have book....

good luck.

Defonten
10-22-2005, 05:41 AM
i red ur post there and if i'm not mistaked they said to you to post in composting section NOT photoshop section..whatever...

Well.. you're absolutely right but since compositing layers using different blending modes is possible in Photoshop also - didn't find any reason why not to post here... whatever.. :)

specular <---- screen or add ...since they just britghten the things up.(sometimes duplice this layer and blur it abit help )
bump <----multiply ....since bump just alters the normals doing add (liner dodge) won't be good because its just gonna white the things up..
fast_sss <----normal since its the base

Oh, now I see. That's exactly what I was lookin' for. Thanx for advice! I'll give it a try! Will look for book also, thanks!

NeptuneImaging
10-25-2005, 03:13 PM
hey, I have done some compositing in photoshop and there are ways to put all of those together. If you also want to put shadow passes, you can invert the shadow layer and put it on muliply...

FLCL
10-26-2005, 11:16 AM
Another neat trick i use for shadows at work, would be to use the shadow pass as a layer mask for a curves adjustment layer. Then tone down the luminosity using the curves. Gives great control over shadow colour too!

CGTalk Moderation
10-26-2005, 11:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.