-Baron-
10-20-2005, 10:20 AM
Title: Ar-15 "WIP"
Name: Sean Stock
Software: 3D Studio Max 7.0
Production Time: 2 1/2 hours

~ 4695 Tris
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/8640/ar337ta.jpg

This is a work in progress shot of a ar-15 model I'm currently working on, which is going to be used in the Half-Life 2 Goldeneye: Source mod. Its known to goldeneye fans as the Ar33. Its running a little high on poly count at the moment, though I will be doing some optimizing once I finish. C&C welcome.

- Sean

kobi
10-20-2005, 12:55 PM
The modeling accuracy iv good all though I dont believe that is an AR-15, it looks more like the M-16. the Ar 15 has a shorter barrel along with front stock. but once agin nice model can you post a wire

Brett....

SpaceJesus
10-20-2005, 07:27 PM
smoothing is nonexistant
flash hider is inaccurate
overall the weapon looks too narrow (x axis)

Rendering on black background = BIG no-no
When doing multiple views - do different angles as separate renders and then composite them in photoshop or something

KorbenD
10-20-2005, 08:25 PM
The modeling accuracy iv good all though I dont believe that is an AR-15, it looks more like the M-16. the Ar 15 has a shorter barrel along with front stock. but once agin nice model can you post a wire

Brett....

I believe you're thinking about the CAR-15, which is the carbine version of the M16.

The AR-15 and M16 are generally identical in appearance, though the flash suppressor, barrel length, as well as front and rear stock can vary tremendously depending on manufacturer. The only major difference is a the bolt assembly is cut down more in the M16, there's a three position selector switch (safe, single shot, 3 round burst), and an autosear in the lower receiver. All other parts are interchangeable.

There are only two things I notice that aren't quite right. The magazine has the lips which hold in the ammunition in the wrong place. They should be towards the back of the magazine, not the front. The other minor thing is that the front stock is the A2/A3 style, while the forward assist on the upper receiver is the older type. Otherwise it looks great.

If I didn't own a Bushmaster XM3, I wouldn't know the difference either. ;)

Bazooka Tooth
10-20-2005, 09:13 PM
:surprised: There is some interesting feedback here. No C&C from me that you arent already aware of. Lets see more!

-Baron-
10-21-2005, 04:02 AM
Thanks for the crits KorbenD, I didnt realise I modeled it exactly the way I didnt want to, lmao. I will deffenitly fix that, as thats a major likeness issue.

For whatever reason, alot of people confuse the M16 with the AR-15, and the Ar-15 with the Car-15, not sure what the reason behind that is. I guess there are just too many look-a-likes, lol.

Thanks for the comments again guys, appreciate it.
- Sean

DingBat99999
10-21-2005, 05:41 AM
Rendering on black background = BIG no-no

Ok, I'll bite. Why is rendering on black background a big no-no?

limE
10-21-2005, 06:03 AM
It's an issue of having background and objects melt togheter, which can cause confusion for the viewer the creator didn't expect.

On this particular piece I can't see the harm in black background since there are no dark shadow to melt into the black background (and thus create confusion) so unless Spacejesus know something I don't (please tell me if I'm wrong) you could go ahead with this choice of color.

I'm not a fan of weapons, don't know what an authentic piece of this equipment should look like, but I like the model anyway
good work and good luck with the optimization!

-Baron-
10-21-2005, 12:05 PM
Thanks limE. Yea I usually set up my renders with a solid surface, and realistic lighting for my final renders, but in this case since its a WIP, didnt really worrie about it, and just went with some basic things that I like to have in my renders.

Personally I havent had any bad experiences with rendering with a black background though, just have to position objects right and the scene camera.

smoothing is nonexistant
flash hider is inaccurate
overall the weapon looks too narrow (x axis)
- I havent added smoothing for all of the areas nor finalized it in any way. I just smoothed some things to make sure it would smooth fine when I go ahead and add the final smoothing, guess I forgot to remove them. :)
- It is accurate, though I didnt actually add the holes since from the first person point of view, it will be very hard to see them in the first place, and will just be a waste of poly's. Texture will work just fine.
- The width of the model should be fairly accurate, as I took my own references when I went to the firing rage last week, and I'm pretty sure its pretty dead on.

Thanks for the crits though. ( and comments also guys )
- Sean

SpaceJesus
10-21-2005, 08:52 PM
Rendering on a pure blakc background can make it much harder to differentiate between the extremities of a shadow on the model, and the background itself. Generally rendering onto a non-monotone background will result in a render which is clearer to the eye, although the render itself is almost identical.
Also, monotone renders just look poo ;P

Wayne Adams
10-21-2005, 09:38 PM
"The roses really smell like doo...dooo...dooooo"

Nice weapon.

-Baron-
10-22-2005, 10:24 AM
Little off topic, Thought I might let you all know that we are looking for some new qualified members, mostly programmers and character modelers. You can PM me, or apply at our forums.

More updates on the ar-15 soon, by the way.

-Sean

KorbenD
10-26-2005, 02:39 AM
If you need reference pictures of any particular part or area, let me know and I'll take some pics and send them to you.

-Baron-
10-26-2005, 09:53 PM
Hey as many references as possible always help. I did take my own references when I went to the firing range, however I was a little short on time, so I only got the basic angles. I would apperciate it if you could send me as many angles as possible, KorbenD. Thanks.

I took a little time off from modeling this particular model, so that explains the lack of updates on it. I will start on it again as soon as I can though.

If you want to send them via email. - Baron00@msn.com

CGTalk Moderation
10-26-2005, 09:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.