PDA

View Full Version : How do you model teeth? One by one or as a whole? What's your way?

frontjibi
10-20-2005, 12:26 AM
I am having hard time deciding on how to start my character's inner mouth. Starting off with teeth, how would you go on about model them? Would you use poly plane and extrude it to make the shape of the teeth? Or you model each tooth seperatly?

And what about the gums under the teeth? Do you attach the teeth with it later on or you model both at the same time with no gaps? If so how you do it?

robertkist
10-20-2005, 12:55 AM
Depends on what you want to do mostly...
Is the character realistic, for high res renders and/or seen in closeups then model each tooth extra, model the gums extra and then group or combine the whole stuff.
Is the character not realistic, not seen in closeups and/or in the background save yourself some polies and time and do it all in one piece with some extrudes for the teeth.
In the end, if it looks good, any way works :)

And if the character is never going to talk, no teeth at all are needed :)

frontjibi
10-20-2005, 01:04 AM
I want my character to talk. I am taking time to model him because i want it to be animated from close up and from far away. Both are important to me.

Anyway, wouldn't it be pain in the *** to combine each seperate tooth to the gums and having the polys to stay quads?

I would really appericiate it if you have any reference pics that i can use? That would help me alot.

frontjibi
10-20-2005, 01:31 AM
And what way do you start off? Box modeling it?

CGTalk Moderation
10-20-2005, 01:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.