PDA

View Full Version : Sketchbook Thread of lednuzb

lednuzb
10-19-2005, 06:54 PM
Well, I think this is my first posting of artwork on CG Talk. Some really amazing stuff here. I hope this is a worthy contribution.

These are all 18x24 NuPastel on paper (1-2 hours, except for middle).

Rebeccak
10-20-2005, 11:42 AM
lednuzb,

Some really beautiful work here! ~ Definitely a 'worthy contribution!' :thumbsup: I read on your website that you went to BYU ~ it looks like your work is influenced by Don Seegmiller, did you ever have him as a teacher? He has posted on one of the Open Figure Drawing Workshop threads, which was great! :)

Your work has a lot of great structure and emotion to it ~ do you still draw? I think it's a shame that folks go into their careers and gradually cease to do what they originally loved to do. Hopefully you are still doing a lot of Drawing for yourself etc., as it would be a shame to lose these skills! :)

Great stuff ~ thanks for posting! Definitely post more as you get the chance. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

lednuzb
10-20-2005, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the compliment, Rebecca. Yes, I went to BYU where I studied animation. But during that time I was fortunate to take a bunch of figure drawing classes from Ralph Barksdale, who no longer teaches. He was an amazing teacher. I also took classes from Robert Barrett, who is amazing too. I never did take any classes from Don, as he started teaching there after I left.

I'm trying to get back into drawing. Having been doing animation and 3d for the past 5 years has limited my time for fine art, but I have found my drawing skills to be slipping, so here I am, trying to build them again. I'm also getting back into traditional oil painting, which is one of my loves. I'll try to keep posting images, but it looks like no one's really interested in what I have, so I'll have to see. Thanks for the encouragement.

-Barry

PixelColada
10-20-2005, 06:09 PM
Very nice stuff.

With regard to a crit, what are you looking for? It seems to me that you're on the right path and you seem like you know what you want from yourself.

I get that these are old drawings but how far off are you now skillwise from where you were? I don't think it will take you that long to get back to this point and pass it. Also, you may discover that in your quest to get back to where you were, you might find yourself moving in a slightly different direction.

I am experiencing something similar after having taken a long time off. That feeling of 'I forgot how to do this' may suck right now, but you'll be amazed when it begins to 'click' again. You'll be faster than you were and by all rights you'll be making better aesthetic decisions.

Good luck to you,

lednuzb
10-20-2005, 09:26 PM
Thanks, PixelColada.

Yeah, it sucks trying to remember. But it's worth it. Here are some newer images that I did out of my head in Painter 9. Making the switch to digital artwork is a bit strange. I love undo, but I need to get used to a tablet and stylus. Hope you like'em.

Rebeccak
10-21-2005, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Barry: Thanks for the compliment, Rebecca. Yes, I went to BYU where I studied animation. But during that time I was fortunate to take a bunch of figure drawing classes from Ralph Barksdale, who no longer teaches. He was an amazing teacher. I also took classes from Robert Barrett, who is amazing too. I never did take any classes from Don, as he started teaching there after I left.

I'm trying to get back into drawing. Having been doing animation and 3d for the past 5 years has limited my time for fine art, but I have found my drawing skills to be slipping, so here I am, trying to build them again. I'm also getting back into traditional oil painting, which is one of my loves. I'll try to keep posting images, but it looks like no one's really interested in what I have, so I'll have to see. Thanks for the encouragement.
Barry,

It's great to have you here! :) I love that so many people find that after a time, they want and need to 'get back to their roots', so to speak. :) I think it's fantastic that you are renewing your interest in figurative art! :)

Don't be discouraged if people don't post a lot...usually a lot of people look and admire your work, but are shy about posting. It's a good exercise to post, as it gives you the motivation and incentive to do better work. I know that I for one have improved in many areas since posting my work here and seeing it up against the fantastic work of others. :) Plus, it's just fun! I would encourage you to participate in our Open Figure Drawing Workshops (we're currently on OFDW 006 here. (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=286293) Definitely come join us! :)

Great to see your work, and I would most definitely encourage you to post more. :) With respect to your digital pieces, I would be hard pressed, particularly with respect to the 2nd piece, to realize that they were digital and not traditional pieces. This is a real compliment to your abilities, as you really show a lot of great expressiveness in these pieces such as I have not so far been able to achieve in my own digital drawings. It's also hard for me to give up on the medium of real charcoal, as it has taken me so many years of trying to master it. I'm a bit of an old fogey, I guess! Lol! :)

At any rate, seeing your work is inspiring, and don't give up on posting just because a million people don't respond. Eventually they will. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

lednuzb
10-21-2005, 05:02 PM
Thanks, Rebecca.

Painter 9 is great for working traditionally. I just wish some of the brushes had some better options. I work with some of the best Painter pros, and they even gripe about it. But I guess you make do with what you are given. I love traditional meduims, but like I said before, I have fallen in love with "undo". Yesterday I was sketching on paper and didn't like the line quality, so I reached up to my keyboard...then caught myself. I'll be posting some more stuff, and I'll try to get in on the Open Figurre Drawing sessions. Thanks for the invite.

More to come.

Barry

SpiritDreamer
11-03-2005, 04:20 AM
Hi Barry
I like your style of drawing...nice...
You could push it even further I think, by giveing the open figure drawing shop
a shot. Rebecca is a great teacher, she pushes hard, in a positive way and always
gets good results, nice group of people there also. Helping each other improve, is
the name of the game there, great place to exercise, and refine your skills.
Look forward to seeing more of your work.
Take Care
Glenn

CGTalk Moderation
11-03-2005, 04:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.